What is the best type of wood you have used for your stove?

I'm with the 'free' answer for the best wood for my stove, I will burn different things depends how I feel.  Pine and softwood for a flames and decent heat output.. so long as its dry outside and I can get to the garage what feels like every 5 minutes to bring more logs in without pulling on (worn out) boot. \i'll go for thorns any day of the week

On 09/11/2018 at 00:19, Ratman said:

Was renovating my latest house purchase back in 2012, i ripped the old open staircase out and rebuilt a new one. The original treads were a real dark red grained wood, wouldnt put them down as mahogany, but a real deep red colour.... i’m clueless with wood types and names ??‍♂️ (something i’m trying to improve on) but when sawn they produce a real fine deep red dust, and if split, they split dead straight and almost brittle like, but christ its a hard wood in general with some mega heat output when put on the fire, burnt em all tho, as had no other use for them.
Other than the beech i acquired last year i have acquired most of my burning material is from work, usually pine and imported soft woods used for packaging and crates.
Other than that its the usual phone calls from local farmers to cut up a natural damaged oak, ash, beech, all burn great for me after a proper times seasoning.

and heres me struggling to get rid of some larch of your work premmisses about 6 wk ago and your burning pallets,,,,,,,

• Like 1

In Norway the tendency is for Birch, Pine and Spruce.  Birch seem to command a premium from the merchants.  So this year we order a pallet of mixed...

Mixed???  Well if you call mostly Aspen and Goat Willow mixed.  Luckily, the previous owner of my house felled a load of Pine and Spruce  in the woodland next to my house and chopped it into lengths.  This must have been about 5 years ago as the bark is starting to come off.

A couple of weekends ago, me and the kids set to collecting, cutting and splitting it.  It has been stacked for a couple weeks now.  Providing I bring it into the house a day or so before burning, it burns very clean.  Glass is clear in the burner and then mixing it with some dead Ash or any fruit wood I have makes for a sweltering house.  So hot, we have to open the doors sometimes.

Even though I had a slight gripe about all the willow and Aspen in the load we bought, it makes fine kindling and creates a nice bed of embers before I load it up with the other woods.

• Like 1

Most if not all hardwoods, not that fussy as long as it's well seasoned! Ash, Hazel, Hawthorn, Alder, Silver Birch are mainly what I have.

I do burn softwood from time to time but always find myself looking forward to getting back to hardwood. Just seems to burn nicer and for longer. With softwood a lot of ash seems to fall through the grate so I have to empty the ash pan out at least twice as often as I do when burning hardwood. Burning some kind of conifer at the moment and it's really weird stuff, be glad to get to the end of it.

Edited by Ashes_Firewood

On 09/11/2018 at 00:19, Ratman said:

Was renovating my latest house purchase back in 2012, i ripped the old open staircase out and rebuilt a new one. The original treads were a real dark red grained wood, wouldnt put them down as mahogany, but a real deep red colour.... i’m clueless with wood types and names ??‍♂️ (something i’m trying to improve on) but when sawn they produce a real fine deep red dust, and if split, they split dead straight and almost brittle like, but christ its a hard wood in general with some mega heat output when put on the fire, burnt em all tho, as had no other use for them.
Other than the beech i acquired last year i have acquired most of my burning material is from work, usually pine and imported soft woods used for packaging and crates.
Other than that its the usual phone calls from local farmers to cut up a natural damaged oak, ash, beech, all burn great for me after a proper times seasoning.

Pitch pine maybe?

I’ve been really getting in touch with my local environment and using whatever’s in natural abundance so I’ve been mainly burning 15mm ply offcuts that I can get a hundred tonnes a year of from an industrial estate a mile away.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

I’ve been really getting in touch with my local environment and using whatever’s in natural abundance so I’ve been mainly burning 15mm ply offcuts that I can get a hundred tonnes a year of from an industrial estate a mile away.

Mind out the glue does not set the chimney alight ! ?