compatible saws on a double power head mill

farmerjohn

On 10/11/2018 at 07:14, Rough Hewn said:

Be careful, those are very different saws.
088 high torque low rpm 10k,
064 lower torque high rpm 12k.
Basically mismatched.
How big is your bar? As the 088 should run fine alone.

Currently my biggest bar is a 48" but when the next big tree comes my way I'll be going up a size. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/11/2018 at 06:14, Rough Hewn said:

Be careful, those are very different saws.
088 high torque low rpm 10k,
064 lower torque high rpm 12k.
Basically mismatched.
How big is your bar? As the 088 should run fine alone.

Yep but I did an article here - every combo of very different mis matched saws worked - as in worked in practice rather than not worked in theory. It doesn't seem to matter how much I say this or write it not many seem to believe me ;) Any combo between a 70cc and 120cc saw should work.

Double ended milling is awesome when it works - and a right pain in the backside when it does not.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Yep but I did an article here - every combo of very different mis matched saws worked - as in worked in practice rather than not worked in theory. It doesn't seem to matter how much I say this or write it not many seem to believe me ;) Any combo between a 70cc and 120cc saw should work.

Double ended milling is awesome when it works - and a right pain in the backside when it does not.

Ohhh, good to know. I'll watch the vid over lunch today. :) 

My next question would be (without being able to watch the vid yet) is the stud mounts for the bars are different for an 064 and an 088. How could you mount them on the same bar?

Edited by trigger_andy

Yep but I did an article here - every combo of very different mis matched saws worked - as in worked in practice rather than not worked in theory. It doesn't seem to matter how much I say this or write it not many seem to believe me [emoji6] Any combo between a 70cc and 120cc saw should work.

I doth my cap to your greater experience and knowledge RobD.
[emoji106]
But I'd still like to know more about how the rpm effects different machines working together.
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

But I'd still like to know more about how the rpm effects different machines working together.

I've never tried it as I have only used twin 084s many years ago.

Look on it as two people pushing a broken down car, One a big  but slow moving man and the other a skinny teenager, the teenager may go faster but as soon as he goes too fast for the man he takes all the load so is forced to slow down.

• Like 1

Having seen 

Just now, openspaceman said:

Look on it as two people pushing a broken down car, One a big  but slow moving man and the other a skinny teenager, the teenager may go faster but as soon as he goes too fast for the man he takes all the load so is forced to slow down.

Yes but the Saw thats rated to a higher RPM than the other saw could in theory pull the other Saw thats rated much lower past its design Spec. Anyway, Rob clears this up by stating that you will not be free reving the Saws anyway and in the cut they will be running way below max Revs of the slowest Saw anyway so its all good.

Id be interested in seeing whatever Bar Adapter you'd need to run a 088 and a 066 on the same bar though. If thats resolved, as it must be as Rob has done it then Im getting closer to being able to mill big stuff soon. :) 

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I doth my cap to your greater experience and knowledge RobD.
emoji106.png
emoji106.png

Haha! I'm now starting to worry about it! I think it's ok - because both saws are trying to push that chain around the bar. You'd have to have no load on it for it for one saw to affect the other.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Yep you got it. The teenager will never be able to push a heavy car fast enough for the man to no longer need to push it. They both need to push it. If the car was somehow weightless and on magnets then yes there would be the issue of the teenager out pacing the man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Is that good for the old man and the teenager though?
I think the only way to know would be various in wood testing/timing different setups. Or to hook up a few mtronics to a computer after testing in wood and compare results?

Honestly I can tell you it works really well - the results of milling speed which is literally x2 - is good enough to say it works. But good point there maybe I need to set up a wee speed test. Be interesting to see if x2 60cc saws could beat an 880!