compatible saws on a double power head mill

farmerjohn

Hi All,

i have some unreliable older saws on a double head mill, 075 and 051,

i am wanting to get an ms880 to replace the 051, and in the future replace the 075 as funds allow,

with the 075 and the ms880 having different high end RPM i thought id best ask if anyone has run 2 saws with similar deference between them.

Thanks, John

I have run an 076 and 880 on a double end mill. Power wise excellent but I noticed when you stopped throttling the 076 the clutch was still engaged I.e being driven by the 880 and was pushing the revs of the 076 very high. Have stopped doing this now. 076 was excellent milling by itself of with similar lower rpm saws, but didn't think the 88 and 76 was a good combo. Better to have a 66 and 88 or better still 2x 88's was my conclusion. Or at least 2 saws with vaguely similar max rpms

When I got the Oregon Hyper skip chain thought I'd give a couple of "smaller"saws a go and have been using 2x 576s and been very happy with how they are doing. I had always been of the mind the bigger the better but now have a couple of 090s sitting in the corner ! Have also run 394-390 combo with good results.

13 hours ago, billpierce said:

Power wise excellent but I noticed when you stopped throttling the 076 the clutch was still engaged

I had this with 2 084s  and for some reason one stopped, as we were near the end I carried on but it could result in a seize if the throttle isn't held open on the dead saw.

2 minutes ago, billpierce said:
4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:
I have an 088 and a 064, anyone know if they would work together? I guess the fact they have different bar attachment studs is one thing?

I'd say that would be fine 084 and 660 was a ok combo for me. Can get a bar adapter plat from CSB

Awesome. I'll look into that. Care to elaborate on what CSB means?

I have an 088 and a 064, anyone know if they would work together? I guess the fact they have different bar attachment studs is one thing?

Be careful, those are very different saws.
088 high torque low rpm 10k,
064 lower torque high rpm 12k.
Basically mismatched.
How big is your bar? As the 088 should run fine alone.
  • Like 1