Aspen 2 worth using ?

On 16/11/2018 at 19:52, josharb87 said:

3 things i've picked up on this post, the cost, the small containers and buying in bulk, Aspen UK need to get their act together.

I buy aspen in 25 litre containers - much more convenient and less wasteful

Its available on the pump at some saw shops - even less wasteful (and cheaper than even the 25l containers) 

its £1,85 +vat per liter 

I agree that being able to sell Aspen in 25litre cans in the UK would be an great advantage. But its not fair to accuse  Aspen UK of not getting their act together, as they would love to sell it too.

All Aspen is packed in Sweden and shipped to the UK in sealed cans (bottles) of 1l, 5l and 200litre.

Sadly the standard 25 litre can is made of plastic and fuel is not permitted to be imported and sold (or stored) in the UK in plastic cans exceeding 10 litres under the Petroleum regulations.

So, until government legislation changes (not likely) I am afraid that sellers and consumers alike, will have to put up with 5l, or 200l containers.

Edited by GardenKit
  • Like 1

I know I can recycle, which effectively means landfill as I understand it. Either way, this is where pump petrol, where you reuse the container rather than recycle, has the only advantage as I see it.

If I could buy Aspen without throwing away containers, I'd switch over completely today.

You could always buy ASPEN in 200 Ltr barrels!

No plastic to recycle....

11 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

I'm slowly going batteries. 

Except generator and a combi engine. 

I agree that battery power is becoming a reality now, and as the popularity increases, the sales of Aspen may decrease, or at least the increase in volume will level out. Its amazing how rapidly things are changing these days.

On 16/11/2018 at 12:54, Dbikeguy said:

according to aspens website, not yet available in the uk..
any ideas on when it might be?

We hope to have them in the UK early 2019, they are making a few small changes before they are ready for retail. Sorry about teasing everyone at the shows for so long with this but good things come to those who wait... 

On 13/11/2018 at 14:57, Dbikeguy said:

Dealers should have big drums that we can then go in and refill our own fuel cans. much greener solution, should work out cheaper too as less plastic involved and shipped in barrels not pallets of bottles.
Dealers could sell an approved buy once bottle for punters to buy it for home use. Could even be taxed different for agricultural use?

This would be great but unfortunately the investment for dealers to do this properly would be very high. I hope that one day this could be a service that can be offered but this can only happen if more and more business' get behind the product with the options available today in order to grow the volume to allow this to happen.

On 13/11/2018 at 16:05, aesmith said:

It should be taxed at a lower rate than road fuel, I think Aspen have being trying to fight that one.

100% 

Hopefully this is an issue which can be addressed post brexit... We will start a new petition and with the help of this forum i hope we can drum up some momentum before talking to the people who set fuel duty in the UK once again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WeFixIt said:

You could always buy ASPEN in 200 Ltr barrels!

No plastic to recycle....

I could do that. It would take me years to use, I would have a 200 ltr barrel in the way and then I'd have a barrel to dispose of. I can't see how that's better.

I could do that. It would take me years to use, I would have a 200 ltr barrel in the way and then I'd have a barrel to dispose of. I can't see how that's better.

1. it’s cheaper in bulk
2. it good for years
3. no plastic waste
4. barrel is recyclable steel
5. Time saved mixing & buying fuel
6. It will always be better for your health

On 16/11/2018 at 17:46, steve collins said:

It is worth using for the health benefits but, i average around 800-1000 liters fuel a year

Pump fuel costs av £1.40 L down here so £1400 a year

Aspen is £3.04(bulk pricing) L  so £3048 a year

£1648 a year difference - to make this work id have to cut at least an extra ton/m3 in the wood a day

I have seen the can and used it. Its  well thought out but wouldn't want to damage it though

Hi Steve,

Don't forget to include the cost of 2-stroke oil when making this kind of comparison. a basic 2 stroke oil is going to cost about 0.13 pence per litre (+vat) when purchased in bulk  and something similar to the oil used in Aspen 2 would set you back around 35 pence per litre (+VAT).

based on 800 litres your cost would then be £1037 + VAT compared to £2032 + VAT for Aspen. This price for Aspen includes delivery to your site which often saves a lot of time travelling to get fuel  and your machinery will benefit in terms of performance in the long run.

unfortunately your fuel usage is going to be much higher than most people on this forum if your work involves constant felling but its worth considering that generally, the higher your fuel usage, the higher your exposure will be to the nasties in regular petrol.

From experience of talking to companies who make the switch over to Aspen. More often than not, their fuel usage seems to decrease so the cost is generally not as bad as first thought. If this is down to an actual decrease in fuel usage or if the volume of fuel they thought they were using was over-inflated is hard to tell but it's generally always a positive outcome for the business.

• Like 2