Aspen 2 worth using ?

On 07/11/2018 at 21:38, Rough Hewn said:

The biggest problem once you've used aspen for a while is using normal pump petrol with someone else's tools.
It reeks.
I'd never go back.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I use Aspen fuel and bio-oil in my small saws and hedgecutters. The Magnum 700 blower and 084 are just too thirsty.

True for me, the reek of others variants on the 2 stroke theme makes it uncomfortable to use others saws, cutters and fuel. (Such a diva am I)

Stuart

i do use it sometimes on the newer saws as on older ones it can eventually suck out the old fuel from the lines and then can be leaks , but will plan to replace the old saws with new lines etc , i used the premix aspen but now  buy the  4 stroke ones and add in the Ipone  samouri racing full ester oil  strawberry smell at 40:1  its used on F1 GP 2 stroke race bikes and motocross bikes which get a lot of load and abuse , its  about the highest VI oil  at 100deg C to be used on 2 strokes  so the lubricity is superb , pulled apart a saw recently and the oil is everywhere and is real tacky, obviously after the fuel  has evaporated after use , i took apart another saw a guy gave to me for  a check and a couple of defects and he was using 2 stroke oil  which was a red colour at 50:1 and the difference is mental ,its like comparing milk to cream lol  

Edited by huskywilson

I started using Aspen but it's too expensive at the nearest place, over £20+VAT.  Motomix is £19.00 (inc VAT) from a different dealer.  He doesn't stock Aspen, but I suppose if everyone who asks for Aspen ends up buying Motomix then they've no particular incentive.   They're a Stihl dealer, are they obliged to stock Motomix? 

I buy my Aspen from a Stihl (& Echo) dealer.

4 hours ago, Blah said:

What do you all do with the empty containers? That's pretty much the only thing stopping me using it in my ground- and climbing saw. Hedgetrimmer, big saw, blower etc all get used less and are Aspen only from new.

Rip the labels off, stand them upside down for a day to drain them, jump on them and bury them in the recycling bin.  They're very simple plastic (polyethylene?) which under the right conditions (= hot) burns to carbon dioxide and water.

• Like 1

I know I can recycle, which effectively means landfill as I understand it. Either way, this is where pump petrol, where you reuse the container rather than recycle, has the only advantage as I see it.

If I could buy Aspen without throwing away containers, I'd switch over completely today.