Pole saw and small van carrying solution??

andyandy

I know that's aimed at the OP Stubby but my Husky polesaw's a battery one and that doesn't come apart.  There's miles of it and I have to strap it to the ladder rack the illogical way round, i.e. with the battery compartment up in the air, to stop it pissing oil over the roof!

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

There is no easy solution. My Kangoo roof rack is pretty butch, I strap the saw up there with carabiner bungees. Theft could be an issue though, sometimes I'll wind a Flexi bike lock around it and through the "footstand" on the motor, it's not perfect but would make it a hassle to pinch in a hurry. Oil leaks and drips in the windscreen, rain rusts the muffler. Just not a good set up but no other option. Ideally, a long, thin, luggage holder on the roof would be the ticket, if such a thing exists?

Yeah theft could be an issue, we have just got a new one due to theft... I have looked at the racks plumbers use for pipes etc  but I'm not sure they accommodate the engine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of Thule bars fitted to the pickup canopy and you can get a pair of Thule attachments which are designed for securing things like canoe paddles, they are the perfect thing for fitting a Stihl pole pruner into and very secure. 

If you google "Thule multipurpose rack"

has a strong metal rope with a toggle to secure it and the pruner is protected by a rubberised clamp.  looks like they're a lot dearer now than when i got them but if its a £700 pruner its worth doing it right