Stumps loaded with rock salt

Boggle4137

Question

Hi everyone, I recently did a job for some guy at his home. He wanted me to completely remove his four stumps (that where all fused together, approx 3ft X 2ft in area) and loads of exposed roots. I told him he's better off getting someone with a stump grinder in and probably a landscaper so a proper job gets done. He then said he was keen for me to take out as much as possible, basically he wants it done on the cheap....

So, I went to go see my grandad for advice, he suggested take out as much of the stumps as possible and cut/drill a series of holes in the stump and load them with rock salt, wet and rub it all in then cover with a tarp to keep dry until it breaks down. I googled this and there are tutorials but not much info on if it actually works.

Anyway my question is how likely is it to work? I was carefull to make sure the salt only went in/on the stump and it's been completely covered. Not sure on species and the tree was cut around 2-3 years ago. Any advice or results are welcome and criticism of course.

Well I've actually done the work and he's paid me, I just wanted to know if this method works. I left all of the roots as Thier where way too many and I'm not breaking my back doing landscaping with a basic pick axe and spade, not to mention Thier was no way I would of been able to dig out the main stump either. He was happy to try using salt rock, I'm just too impenitent to wait to see if its effective or not hahaha

If the trees were cut down 2-3 years ago and they haven't re-grown, then they're already dead.

The rock salt should be used on freshly cut stumps to kill them off/stop them sprouting like a coppice stump.

It does not rot them any quicker.

Well done on getting paid for it though! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boggle4137 said:

Well I reduced the stumps to the ground , around 1ft for each stump as ..... Looks like he is going to have to get in a guy who hasn't winged it hahaha, either way I explained fully and he understands it might not work. I'll have to keep you updated if he gets back to me.

1ft ? Don't let TCD hear that !

• Like 1