Chainsaw refresher, a scam?

claydon

31 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Got a saw in my hands nearly every day but just had to do a FISA refresher course at a coast of a lost day and £200 ish for 6 hrs doing the things i do every day but it ticked some boxes and thats about it oh and got a certificate that said i had been there, the thing what gets me is we all drive and there is more people killed on our roads in a day than there is in forestry and arb in a year, but do we do a driving refresher NO, i could possibly see this coming as another money making scam where if you are of a certain age you will have to renew every 2/3/5 years, 

HGV divers pulling chemicals have had to do a medical/refresher every five years already, can’t see any problem with that or making refreshers in driving cars also, would probably save a lot of lives.

Just because refreshers aren’t compulsory in other sectors doesn’t mean we shouldn’t in ours, FISA brought the compulsory refreshers in, If you don’t like it don’t be a member and don’t cut in FC land.

Got a saw in my hands nearly every day but just had to do a FISA refresher course at a coast of a lost day and £200 ish for 6 hrs doing the things i do every day but it ticked some boxes and thats about it oh and got a certificate that said i had been there, the thing what gets me is we all drive and there is more people killed on our roads in a day than there is in forestry and arb in a year, but do we do a driving refresher NO, i could possibly see this coming as another money making scam where if you are of a certain age you will have to renew every 2/3/5 years, 

Wont be long for ya then eh! ?

On 06/11/2018 at 14:00, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi all, as I'm sure you're aware the "recommendation" for 5-yearly refresher training, as a professional operator, comes from HSE guidance (INDG 317) and FISA 805 Training & Certification (copy attached, see sects. 33-35.) ...and of course the previous stance / requirement by FISA for mandatory 5 yearly re-qualification, in effect, has emphasized the matter (plus the insurance industry will / can influence too.) 

Respectfully, we do often pick-up 'bad habits' along the working way and being in the company of an experienced, and competent, trainer, with a view to advancing our skill levels, can be beneficial. Whilst there are structured refresher courses available, mainly with Lantra and FISA, please do take the opportunity to 'up-skill,' e.g. CS31-CS32-CS33-CS34-CS35 (as was), where applicable as this will achieve both objectives.

Alternatively, you could try to engage / employ a trainer to work with you to produce a more specific training needs analysis and then deliver a customized program to better suit your needs (and hopefully your pockets as, at least to some degree, the operators can hopefully stay productive.) This does still need to be documented, and ideally certificated, such that there is evidence of the training being undertaken and most providers can do this.

It would be a real pity just to undertake, for instance, a small tree felling refresher and not advance your skill levels...after-all 380mm dia. isn't that big of a tree.

Just another perspective appen.. 

Paul          

FISA 805 Training and Certs.pdf

we will be refreshing the driving test next,   mind you some of the driving standards these days leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

HGV divers pulling chemicals have had to do a medical/refresher every five years already, can’t see any problem with that or making refreshers in driving cars also, would probably save a lot of lives.

Just because refreshers aren’t compulsory in other sectors doesn’t mean we shouldn’t in ours, FISA brought the compulsory refreshers in, If you don’t like it don’t be a member and don’t cut in FC land.

did i say i did,nt like it No, pearsonally i think the FISA refresher could be a lot better i found it very basic like back at cs31, on the day talked about saws, safty proceedurs, and setting tirfor winch up and got to fell 1 small tree and anothere cs32 sized tree (just) not allowed to do windblown thou , but windblown makes up about 60% of my forestry work, i think it could be included if thats what you do most the time, or am i wrong on this ? 

5 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

did i say i did,nt like it No, pearsonally i think the FISA refresher could be a lot better i found it very basic like back at cs31, on the day talked about saws, safty proceedurs, and setting tirfor winch up and got to fell 1 small tree and anothere cs32 sized tree (just) not allowed to do windblown thou , but windblown makes up about 60% of my forestry work, i think it could be included if thats what you do most the time, or am i wrong on this ? 

Just how much could you realistically cover properly in a one day refresher though?

CS31/32 with winch assisting and wind blown, don’t think so. Your refresher is done for 5 years so you probably won’t need another one.

Last refresher we did for multiple windblow, everyone on the course only got 3yrs and some very experienced cutters were there. Would not give longer, to keep jobs for the boys?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Just how much could you realistically cover properly in a one day refresher though?

CS31/32 with winch assisting and wind blown, don’t think so. Your refresher is done for 5 years so you probably won’t need another one.

i think i will need 1 or 2 more  yet ?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, htb said:

Last refresher we did for multiple windblow, everyone on the course only got 3yrs and some very experienced cutters were there. Would not give longer, to keep jobs for the boys?

From what I understand it is 5 years for professional users and three for occasional users such as machine drivers who jump out of the cab and cut occasionally?

Who did your refresher and what reasons where you you given for only three years, did you ask?