Ash with a TPO

Murdoch

Question

We have a large Ash which is covered by a TPO ... 

The local Council man says it doesn't need trimming back

A local tree man says it does (don't think he was touting for work)

a representation of the Forestry Commission visiting to look at our Oak for the OPM say it does 

Opinions on whether a well written justification would get approved ?

Thanks

I think it is worth pointing out , that getting advice or opinions abt yr garden trees or land management issues on here, is no substitute for a professional inspection or appraisal with documentary record and measurement. This is what will be accepted by a planning authority or a solicitor in the event of an insurance claim or court action. There are plenty of certified professionals on here who provide such services. I always recommend Any owner of trees on their land has Condition inspections done as a minimum. This at least is a record of a professional visit, a bare minimum of your duty of care. K

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EdwardC said:

So what are your reasons for pruning the tree: Safety, then you will need to provide written evidence from an appropriate expert. Or poor living conditions, loss of light to the house and garden, overbearing etc. Then it might be easier, and cheaper, to justify.

The FC Officer and tree surgeon won't be deciding your application. Convincing the tree officer is what you have to do.

I'm not sure why the branch union is a 'poor one', or why it is 'compromised', it looks fine. Is the branch subsiding, well it doesn't look like it from the photos, and it's putting on good growth to address the stresses imposed on it. Thigmomorphogenesis and all that.

An Arb. Consultant would be able to give better, and impartial advice having had a look at the tree in the flesh, rather than someone on an internet site with very limited information.

This is our exact problem ...............  read my OP .............. all 3 people who have commented HAVE been on site

32 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

This is our exact problem ...............  read my OP .............. all 3 people who have commented HAVE been on site

and of the three people giving opinions only one matters..  all you can do is ask again and point out other expert opinion is that the tree needs cutting back..  I'd have the council man back and see if you  can change his mind..  

barring that its a case of sucking it up..  

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

So why are you looking for views here? ?

There's a key point here. If it's TPO'd and you want to do work on it you need permission, so you have to apply for it and the law states that you have to give "a statement of the applicant’s reasons for making the application". So far you haven't said why you want to do anything to the tree. Sorry if I come across as hostile, but I don't see how anyone can advise you unless they know your reasons. The whole point of TPOs is to stop tree owners diminishing trees without good reason.

If you apply and don't give reasons, it's not that you will get a refusal, it's that the Council will probably and quite rightly refuse to register/validate the application.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdwardC said:

I've read the post, but you don't say what your problem is. Why do you want it pruned, what reasons did the tree surgeon and FC Officer give to justify their recommendation.

If you are going to put an application in to prune the tree you should know what it is you are trying to achieve by pruning. To do that you need to know what the problem with the tree is. 

You will have to state your reasons, and the works should address those. E.g. the tree is shading the garden so I would like to crown thin it by 15%. A tree surgeon and FC Officer said it needed trimmed is likely to result in a refusal of your application.

There is advice on tree pruning operations and what they can achieve in BS3998

Apologies - new to this tree "business" 

When we bought the house 5 years ago a tree "person" expressed concern about the lowest branch and the weight / "pull" on the tree / trunk

Light isn't the issue here

We want to protect the tree!

Hope this helps - or doesn't confuse further!?

27 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

If your stated reason for undertaking pruning to the tree is because you are concerned that the branch might fail and cause damage, you should include with the application written evidence from an appropriate expert to support the stated reason. For this it would be best to get advice/report from an arboricultral consultant.

Not what I meant.

We have huge concerns that this branch, should it be allowed to grow continuously, could split the main trunk and kill it....... which we don't want to happen.......

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Not what I meant.

We have huge concerns that this branch, should it be allowed to grow continuously, could split the main trunk and kill it....... which we don't want to happen.......

Well if it's not about risk and it's not urgent, put what you just said there in an application and bung it in to the Council, see what happens. But you'll also tell the Council exactly what works you are asking permission for. Be very specific.

A good consultant could perhaps make the case that the public amenity interest is better served in the long term by allowing modest weight reduction work now to avoid an irrecoverable larger wound that would kill the tree. Or you could try and make the case yourself.

Be very specific, or expect if not deserve a refusal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Well if it's not about risk and it's not urgent, put what you just said there in an application and bung it in to the Council, see what happens. But you'll also tell the Council exactly what works you are asking permission for. Be very specific.

A good consultant could perhaps make the case that the public amenity interest is better served in the long term by allowing modest weight reduction work now to avoid an irrecoverable larger wound that would kill the tree. Or you could try and make the case yourself.

Be very specific, or expect if not deserve a refusal.

Thanks for that ............ if anyone is close to Woking and wants to do this for us please get in touch .... £££