Decent DIY level battery drill?

sandspider

Hi all

Looking at replacing my ancient 18v battery drill. Only DIY work, so not too much, but occasionally heavy- I might need to screw 6" screws into gateposts or similar. (My current drill will only get a screw about 3" in!) New one doesn't need to be 18v. So I'm not looking to spend loads of money, budget maybe £100 ish, but could go a bit higher if it'll make much difference to quality / longevity. Not looking to pay for just a name either. So many brands to choose from- einhell? Erbauer? Dewalt? Makita? Or go cheap and cheerful with worx or Aldi type thing and just replace? Might also get other tools to fit the same batteries in future. Any recommendations please?

Cheers all.

You wouldn't go wrong with DeWalt, Makita or Bosch to be honest. Keep the batteries in the warm when the cold weather hits and you can revive "dead" batteries with scissors if one still has a bit of go in it. You can jump start it so it starts taking a charge again. Has kept my 17year old DeWalt 14.4 going. Not got the power it used to but is still capable ( beware some of the deals that only include 1 battery.)

Edited by Husqvarna King
  • Like 1

Cheap battery drill for 6" screws is a big ask. Cheap impact would do them OK but I would be surprised if the cheaper offering of drill will have enough oomff to drive screws that big home. My 2 speed Dewalt couldn't thats for sure but the 3 speed one does with ease but way over your budget. No option on replacement batteries for your old Makita?

I have an 18v 5 amp hour Milwaukee M18 drill. It's awesome, and absolutely bullet proof. When the pump on our diesel tank at the sawmill failed, it drove a manual pump for months without any issues, pumping over a thousand litres of diesel. It'll drive 160mm coach head bolts straight into hardwood without a pilot hole, and the battery life is immense (clad an entire 8x8x8ft office on one battery charge). 

It's about £240, but I don't think you'd every buy another drill. 

Steer clear of Makita. Had repeated gearbox issues with their drills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big J said:

I have an 18v 5 amp hour Milwaukee M18 drill. It's awesome, and absolutely bullet proof. When the pump on our diesel tank at the sawmill failed, it drove a manual pump for months without any issues, pumping over a thousand litres of diesel. It'll drive 160mm coach head bolts straight into hardwood without a pilot hole, and the battery life is immense (clad an entire 8x8x8ft office on one battery charge). 

It's about £240, but I don't think you'd every buy another drill. 

Steer clear of Makita. Had repeated gearbox issues with their drills.

Another vote from me for Milwaukee, expensive but well worth it long term and once you have the batteries and charger you can get the bare tools much cheaper. 

If you do alot of screws an impact driver is worth considering. 

• Like 1