Working close to railway

Con

18 minutes ago, jfc said:

I have tried to do a job overhanging rail lines. I have emailed and left messages with the office in Glasgow that deal with Scottish NR issues. They have never replied so I gave up. I didn't really want the job in the first place so am relieved not to have to jump through NR hoops, as it sounds a nightmare. Just bear in mind that if anything does go wrong NR have lots of lawyers to sue your ass and probably make you bankrupt! All the best, jan.

Wise words. A f***k up would certainly be one way to get their attention.

As I said in the op I am quite confident that the job would go ok, nothing going track side of garden, including me. But I don't need the job and I certainly don't need to be half way through the job and be stopped.

I will try and contact rail network,  and if they don't respond I'll give it a miss

• Like 1

Wise words. A f***k up would certainly be one way to get their attention.
As I said in the op I am quite confident that the job would go ok, nothing going track side of garden, including me. But I don't need the job and I certainly don't need to be half way through the job and be stopped.
I will try and contact rail network,  and if they don't respond I'll give it a miss
Yep, unless it is going to pay really well and zero chance of F ups then I walk away from these jobs.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Con said:

Thanks. I appreciate it's impossible for anyone to give me an exact course of action.  But you've pretty much answered my question in that I was looking for procedures, protocols etc. 

Regarding the trees, were they to be felled they would reach the track  but it's not a fell, just reduction. 

Also forgot to mention, the clients had rail network out in the hopes that they would do the work. They said no, as they weren't there's and they posed no interference to them

I cannot believe that if NR people came out and looked at the work they did not stipulate their requirements to the client.

41 minutes ago, jfc said:

didn't really want the job in the first place so am relieved not to have to jump through NR hoops, as it sounds a nightmare. Just bear in mind that if anything does go wrong NR have lots of lawyers to sue your ass and probably make you bankrupt!

This is a fairly standard reaction and why the firms that do appear to  jump through the hoops can do so well.

As to the bit about lawyers if you realised the number of extra lawyers that NR and TOCs have employed to  deal with internecine disputes you will understand why ticket prices are so high, next to giving the financial sector a gravy train to slurp on the proceeds of sale of social housing the cock up that KMBE's mates made of carving up british rail is the biggest loss of public good.

11 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I cannot believe that if NR people came out and looked at the work they did not stipulate their requirements to the client.

I'm getting it second hand from the clients,  but they said nothing required doing, but if they wanted to reduce them they could. Does that not seem right to you? 

Think I'm walking away from this one anyway

3 minutes ago, Con said:

I'm getting it second hand from the clients,  but they said nothing required doing, but if they wanted to reduce them they could. Does that not seem right to you? 

Think I'm walking away from this one anyway

Yes it could well be right but I'd want something in writing to that effect from the client to indemnify you if the work gets stopped before completion. Why not put in a higher price as well if you are competent to do the work but do have a properly written RAMS on site and read by all personnel.

This is a fairly standard reaction and why the firms that do appear to  jump through the hoops can do so well.

As to the bit about lawyers if you realised the number of extra lawyers that NR and TOCs have employed to  deal with internecine disputes you will understand why ticket prices are so high, next to giving the financial sector a gravy train to slurp on the proceeds of sale of social housing the cock up that KMBE's mates made of carving up british rail is the biggest loss of public good.
I did try and comply with NR requirements but they never bothered replying. I have plenty of work and can do without the hassle involved. It's unbelievable how NR don't reply to calls and emails, the tree I looked at is dodgy and I highlighted that in my email. My ass is covered! If anything happens it will be NR having to explain why they didn't respond.

3 minutes ago, jfc said:

I did try and comply with NR requirements but they never bothered replying. I have plenty of work and can do without the hassle involved. It's unbelievable how NR don't reply to calls and emails, the tree I looked at is dodgy and I highlighted that in my email. My ass is covered! If anything happens it will be NR having to explain why they didn't respond.

I'm not knocking you or anyone else, dealing with NR is difficult and I wouldn't ask anyone to do something they are uncomfortable with but the guys I worked with were ordinary working men with the difference that they were largely unconcerned about trees, they were doing a job that paid them a bit better than other tree jobs

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes it could well be right but I'd want something in writing to that effect from the client to indemnify you if the work gets stopped before completion. Why not put in a higher price as well if you are competent to do the work but do have a properly written RAMS on site and read by all personnel.

Thanks. I won't be doing anything until I've had direct contact with rail network