MS261 Clutch/Crank

aesmith

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

Don't think the 260 was affected ? Could be wrong though . Thought it was 261 were the problems started .

Nah the 260 was alright - didn't they come with a spur sprocket anyway? My brother just had the bits that came off my saw when I put the 3/8 kit on!

• Like 1

I have an issue with this "bad batch" thing. I have fitted new splined drums on a few MS261s with new bearings where the crank was serviceable and they have been knocked out within 6 months. I really don't get this "bad batch" thing unless they had a bad batch that lasted around four years!!!!

• Like 1

On 27/11/2018 at 19:42, spudulike said:

I have an issue with this "bad batch" thing. I have fitted new splined drums on a few MS261s with new bearings where the crank was serviceable and they have been knocked out within 6 months. I really don't get this "bad batch" thing unless they had a bad batch that lasted around four years!!!!

Quite possibly. I doubt all the shit ones got rounded up and disposed of. Mine's been doing ok for two years now but it may be being loaded less because of the lighter chain.

I was discussing this with a customer and comparing the Echo response to the melting side cover issue to the Stihl MS261 issue.....quite a different approach, a bit like Toyota being totally transparent with their throttle issues on their cars....seems to be the Japanese way and for one, I appreciate that sort of behaviour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

I was discussing this with a customer and comparing the Echo response to the melting side cover issue to the Stihl MS261 issue.....quite a different approach, a bit like Toyota being totally transparent with their throttle issues on their cars....seems to be the Japanese way and for one, I appreciate that sort of behaviour!

Like Nissan extending the warranty  to 90K on the engine in the D22 pickup because of a " bad batch " of conrod bolts letting go at around 70K . Strait replacement engine .  Did not affect all of them , including mine but my mates did and they fitted a new engine no quibble .

• Like 1

I had one of the first 261 out and that was a pile of useless crap, I had to sell it for spares in the end! Husky 5 series are no better, I have got rid of all them aswell now, I do like the Echo stuff, basic reliable and built well!

On 27/11/2018 at 19:42, spudulike said:

If you take the response that I received from Stihl as gospel the "bad batch" ran from introduction until mid 2016.  It wasn't clear whether the part number they quote is specific to the "fixed" clutch.   What the actually said was "A steel drum was introduced mid 2016 and is included in rim sprocket kit, part number 1141 007 1002 (.325 Pitch 7 Tooth). The fitment of this, together with a new needle bearing, part number 9512 933 2260 to a machine with a serviceable crankshaft will resolve the issue."   Steel drum?  Were the original drums not steel?

7 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Greased my 261 (2017) for the first time after 18 months of use.
Mint.
Even left the original needle cage as no signs of wear.
emoji106.png

Gave back the lightly used 2012 MS261 to the owner, explained that the crank hardened coating was shot, showed him the pitting on the shaft with a magnifying glass and then measured the shaft diameter above the circlip, below it and then near the actual clutch showing a nominal 10mm above the circlip and 9.65mm near the clutch - 0.35mm under nominal is well buggered and uneconomical to repair.