MS261 Clutch/Crank

aesmith

I have scrapped six ms261 in the last three years had enough of sthil their attitude was to offer me a fifty pound reduction on a new saw in part exchange went back to husqvarna had two 562xp saws replaced with 562xp saws when mine could not be sorted under warranty so now have 12 husqvarna chainsaws down to two sthils left

29 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Probably a silly question, but does the MS 260 suffer from the same issue? Or does greasing up the needle roller regularly eradicate this problem?

No the MS 260 has no history of this problem (it uses a very slightly different drum).I have run one for years with no problem.

It always helps to grease the bearing but it won't cure a bad drum.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aesmith said:

Well it's a bummer from my point of view, I really liked that saw and I think it was the ideal size and shape for me.  I suppose it's too soon know whether the problem still exists on the new (2017?) version.

The 2017 version has no reported problems with the clutch drum as far as I'm aware. The original problem seems to have been a metallurgical one within the drum structure which has now been rectified.

On 03/11/2018 at 09:48, spudulike said:

There were changes in bore size on both the MS260 and 346XP, I always put that down to both manufacturers trying to get dominance in this sector of chainsaw!

I think they would achieve this if they stopped selling shit saws. We aint clueless enuff to think the bigger the number on a sticker means it's betterer. K

1 hour ago, Baldbloke said:

Probably a silly question, but does the MS 260 suffer from the same issue? Or does greasing up the needle roller regularly eradicate this problem?

Greasing the drive sprocket bearing is a regular task, Husqvarna sensibly include a port on the end of the crank -Stihl expect you to dismantle the drum, says it all really. K

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Greasing the drive sprocket bearing is a regular task, Husqvarna sensibly include a port on the end of the crank -Stihl expect you to dismantle the drum, says it all really. K

Isn't than because it's a pain removing the outboard clutch, whereas on an inboard clutch it's just one clip to remove the drum and the clutch stays in place.

4 minutes ago, aesmith said:

Isn't than because it's a pain removing the outboard clutch, whereas on an inboard clutch it's just one clip to remove the drum and the clutch stays in place.

Like on a Husqvarna 372XP ? Still has a grease port .

Edited by Stubby