I Bought A Mini Dumper

Haironyourchest

Last one, for the time being: moving tree ferns. I don't know how much they weighed, but two strong men were close to maxing out their skeleto-musculatory systems lifting the root end with a sling. A weird shape to manage, I had to reach over the frond end to get to the right hand side handle, obliging me to walk tip-toe at times. We tried different configurations, layed-across, butt end on a wheelbarrow, diagonal, but, in the end, this was the only practical method.

IMG_20190503_141828353~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/11/2018 at 09:18, dumper said:

Had one on demo, very heavy not really designed for anything but flat ground did notlike mud best on a building site where ground is hard cored, but a fantastic little crane, carried a full pack of block paving with ease no skip attachment everything has to be on pallets or in one tonne sacks crane doesn’t slew.

I hired one in with an operator last week, did a good job getting 13 tons of material 100 yards from a road and over a wall. I did have to do a lot of shoveling as the height of the wall meant it needed to use its extension jib so could only lift about 600kg. 

Was a tricky location and worked well, although the circumstances where it is the right machine is very particular so it will probably be a long time before I have it again. A telehandler, avant, rough terrain forklift, dumper or Hiab would generally be far easier. On this job a very big Hiab would have done it but I wasn't 100℅ it would have weaved its way in. So the hooka was the right machine?

Removing certain trees in a spruce plantation, congested, no drop-zone means taking them down in sections from the ground, until they're light enough to pull the butt end out and lay them flat. Promlem is, as the stem buckles, and the top part (most of the tree) drops vertically about three feet, the new, partially wedged shaped, butt end plants itself firmly into the ground. I could force pull this through the soil with a hand winch, but it would be very slow and tear a trench in the forest floor, so I came up with this idea. The Track Barrow wouldn't budge the implanted butt on a straight pull, but with a redirect at about 45 degrees (just a pole) it would lift the tree out of the ground and kind of "jump" the butt as the pivot log fell over. By repeating this, I could get the stems lying at enough of an angle to the horizontal to be able to straight pull them. Later in the day, I accidentally discovered a better way, where you let the bottom chunk buckle, but leave enough holding wood so it stays attached, so you have a three foot section flat on the floor, with the rest of the tree close to vertical, but still attached, and not dug in. Then chocker the butt of the flat section and the whole articulated affair pulls away grand.IMG_20190614_160048594.thumb.jpg.61be61db2cb998397bd680a5c35a125e.jpgIMG_20190614_160146155.thumb.jpg.4bd73fbd577fec2094e1033dd9057ccd.jpgIMG_20190614_160101723.thumb.jpg.bf803b7d3159fd07f8aa45a086652873.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Today's job was topping a Cypress hedge to 6 foot. Depth was probably 5-6 foot and no access from the other side. Ground uneven, lumpy etc, step ladder was no-go. So I configured a deck for the track-barrow out of old ceder staves (ex hot tub). Perfect hight for me to stand and work, stable out, and easy to reposition as needed.

IMG_20191119_135553487.thumb.jpg.cb6b1e523af7232461f16196289f61f5.jpg

• Like 2

Well I'll stick this one in the thread since the track-barrow/dumper is in frame....a first for me - never before met a tree that was actually be happy to be felled! Or could be one of the fayrie folk was trapped inside for some reason and happy to be released??IMG_20191118_132859524.thumb.jpg.8d0abace06b69f914639f277f4ee1c8c.jpg

Thinking of getting one of these, where did you get the green skip from looks a useful addition? Like you I have some spruce to extract with no clear drop lines so I also bring them down sectionally.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, petercb said:
14 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:
Well I'll stick this one in the thread since the track-barrow/dumper is in frame....a first for me - never before met a tree that was actually be happy to be felled! Or could be one of the fayrie folk was trapped inside for some reason and happy to be released??IMG_20191118_132859524.thumb.jpg.8d0abace06b69f914639f277f4ee1c8c.jpg

Read more  

Thinking of getting one of these, where did you get the green skip from looks a useful addition? Like you I have some spruce to extract with no clear drop lines so I also bring them down sectionally.

Given to me by a pal, it's a fiberglass tub from an old two-wheel farm barrow, quite old. Im sure similar barrow tubs can be bought separately somewhere. It's actually slightly too wide for the dumper unless you open one side panel, so building something to fit exactly would be a better way to go I think. The tub is breaking at the corners, so I'll be making a new one at some point.

• 1 month later...