Prices for Council Tender...?

benedmonds

Sorry to be a pain, and recognising that we have to work with what we've got, I don't "get" the table.  Is each individual cell a total for the day or do the rows run across to give a cumulative total for the day?  Are the estimates per day based on 1, 2, 3 etc teams (of 5 blokes (I'm guessing if ™ inclusive?)

It's close enough to impossible to make it not worth trying... Or, just go big £ and have a holiday if it wins.  

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 10.05.00.png

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Sorry to be a pain, and recognising that we have to work with what we've got, I don't "get" the table.  Is each individual cell a total for the day or do the rows run across to give a cumulative total for the day?  Are the estimates per day based on 1, 2, 3 etc teams (of 5 blokes (I'm guessing if ™ inclusive?)

The table was how many trees can a team of 3 do in a day. So each cell is the number of trees a team can do.. 

In reality on the ground it would probably be 2 teams but then the number of trees they would do would double...

It is the way I try to work it out: 1 team could do x number of x size trees in a day.. I can then assign my day rates..

I just thought more guesstimates would result in a figure less likely to be wildly out.. 

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Small 0-30cm DBH

Med 30-60cm dbh

Large 60cm +dbh

Crown lift to 6m

Crown clean

Crown thin

Crown reduction

Fell to GL

Basal & Epicormic removal

Anyone willing to try... Assume you are doing TM..

Quite close to my result- pricing that could be hilarious; ) K

4 big fells for a team of 3 in a day Kev?

You can't just leave them there!

I also reckon unobstructed clear fells would be pretty few and far between on a council contract.

I hear you on the crown reduction, but crown lift to 6m would be even more interesting!

You can only work with what you've been given Ben.

In my view it's vague specs like this which force the idverde style 2-saw cock ups.

Pressure pressure pressure.

24 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Yes, I do realise that pricing each individual job on a contract is totally unfeasible.

It's not that unfeasible, some councils use a mini competition for a block of works but you need to be one of their approved contractors.. Still has issues as I have discussed on here previously.

Talking to more experienced bid writers some actually underprice the jobs that they think won't come up often like the large take-downs, so when the tender is being examined their overall rates look lower..  I am not sure I am up to the scheming required.. I am happy doing a good job for a fair price..  Why does it have to be so complicated....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

4 big fells for a team of 3 in a day Kev?

I felled 7 in that size range (2 in the >1000mm dbh) on Sunday between 11 - 14:00 with myself cutting and mate on a 1.5t.  Cut, ringed, brashed up and piled on site.

Granted, nothing had to leave site and there was no chipping so that's probably not a realistic scenario for this.  Taking account of moving everything off site would be the bigger part of the task.

If spec is to remove everything < 1 per day would be more realistic if it was in the larger end of 60cm + range.    

• Like 1

I remember a thread from a fair while back (in good ol' days when TCD was still in the manor.)  I'd photo grabbed an outfit in Plymuff doing street tree pollards.  

1 bloke up the tree on a ladder, 1 bloke in the van round the corner having his snap and the 3rd bloke at the chipper at the back of the van round the corner.  No ™, cyclist and pedestrians in the shot - it was a sight to behold!!

Spoke to a mate who used to work for said outfit and he reckoned it was something like £4/tree!  

If that's anything like true the brown envelopes would need to be going in the other direction!!  ?