Beggars CAN be choosers

spandit

I've offered a free tip site here for a few years now and have been inundated with logs and chips by generous tree surgeons. I'll take anything and normally it's leylandii or one of the lesser hardwoods (willow, horse chestnut etc.) but 100% of it is burnin' wood and although I always ask for the next load to be well seasoned beech, I never turn down anything.

So earlier this week I had a text: "Taking down some ash and oak, do you want it?"

Too bloody right!

IMG-20181031-WA0000.thumb.jpg.8352fd44b85422cd944fbb3d90028a72.jpg

The stuff in the foreground was added to the pile in the background. For scale, the large round in the top right is 3 feet across.

The ash is a joy to split - took out some of frustration at life in general with the maul and it took a feather touch to send a beautiful log spinning off. I've added a few barrow loads to one of the Holzhausens and due to the way it was tipped, new bits keep being found buried in the chip! Wife isn't happy with the amount of toil it's going to generate so situation normal there. She pays a subscription to a gym - I do a workout and come out with a load of logs :D

Thanks all!

• Like 8

Did a bit of a tidy up this morning - chainsaw ran well for a change. Mainly cut the thin branches to length but did split a few of the large red oak rounds. Fortunately I had already removed the tailgate from my Hilux after exploding the rear window, which made loading easier...

20181102_124219.thumb.jpg.dee2030d296b87555ad92d60629ad3b5.jpg

Added a couple of feet to Holzhausen Number 3. Doesn't look like much but it's about 8 feet acrossIMG-20181102-WA0004.thumb.jpg.b16f622c63a4bd1d318a174108d43d66.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

Do the round stack actually dry the wood in this climate.... only thinking it would save me loads of space if I did it like that. i am concerned that the UK weather will leave the internal wood wet.

While warmth is desirable for drying logs. Lots of air flow to wick moisture away is more important. Stack it on pallets for best results.

• Like 2

They're arguably more attractive than ibc cages and also cheaper. Whether the logs dry in the middle I don't know but given another summer like this year's and they'll be baked. Wind is the best thing for drying them, though. That said, ran out of storage space on pallets so piling them like these at least keeps them off the ground although the bottom ones are sacrificial 

Built a large one near the back door as wife refuses to have a big log basket inside. Still find I'm the only one who brings them in. Made sure the little log holder by the fire was full when I went to bed so they'll be warm and dry for today

5 hours ago, spandit said:

Built a large one near the back door as wife refuses to have a big log basket inside. Still find I'm the only one who brings them in. Made sure the little log holder by the fire was full when I went to bed so they'll be warm and dry for today

There's a good boy .?

• Haha 1