Heavy reduction

spuddog0507

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

As Peds observered, it’s standard operating procedure over here.

In France? Is it the sort of thing you’d be taught as a matter of course getting your French saw tickets? And I guess it’s more of a CS32 thing in the UK, as no one mentioned anything like it for my 31.

It would definitely have to be used for something other than the size of the bar, as I’ve seen it on the stumps of some tall-but-skinny larch and spruce, no fatter than 40cm.

(There’s some absolute horrors of a hinge on a few others, I’ll post a couple on the Rate My Hinge thread...)

5 hours ago, peds said:

Hi, 

Question from an FNG here, I’ve seen this on a few stumps whilst walking around my local forest, and I was about to take some pictures and start a new thread to ask about it, but your photo illustrates it perfectly. I see you’ve cut out the center of the hinge (with a bore cut from inside the gob?), can I ask what that cut is called and what kind of situation you’d use it in? 

Many thanks for any knowledge you can share.

i will put you right on this one, some answers are nearly there but not quite , the cut in the centre of the hinge is called a heart cut and i cant believe no one has said that, the whole idea of the cut is it allows you to fell large trees with smaller saws than needed, tree was just over 4ft across saw used stihl ms461 with 20" bar so tree diameter more than twice the bar length, so take the middle out the tree first and the bore in on one side and then sweep round putting wedges in as you go round ,and it all so allows me to have one side of the hinge bigger than the other side and this would be used in a situation where a tree have a lot more weight on one side ehan the other and i would have a bigger hinge on the side with least weight on to compensate the pull that would be created by the excess weight on oppositt side, dont know if you can zoom in on photo but one side of the hinge is about 3" and the other is about 4.5" hope this explaines it ?,

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

i will put you right on this one, some answers are nearly there but not quite , the cut in the centre of the hinge is called a heart cut and i cant believe no one has said that, 

Keyhole cut, bore cut, “a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It can also be employed on heavy leaners  that may tend to " barbour " 

Good point.

Last thing you need is a tree deciding to suddenly leave the wood, go to a local countryside store and buy a waxed cotton jacket.

Nightmare scenario.:)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

Good point.

Last thing you need is a tree deciding to suddenly leave the wood, go to a local countryside store and buy a waxed cotton jacket.

Nightmare scenario.

Bloody auto correct ! ?

• Haha 1