7.5tonner

WesD

You are correct sir,I run my 7.5 ton lorry on private use on my car licence,No taco needed and its insured on my trader policy,I do self builds for myself so when i have been stopped i just say to vosa and police that its used for my own personal use i never get any problems what so ever,If you use the wagon for paid work you need to do the 6 week checks.

22 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Not sure they are that helpful if that is the advice you have been given..

Pretty sure unless rules have changed. 

You WILL need an operators licence

You WILL need 12 weekly checks

You WILL NOT need tacho if less than 100km from base and to carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of his work and when driving the vehicle is not the driver’s main activity

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

So if delivering logs for example you WOULD need tacho.

Driver CPC also NOT needed- as 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc-exemptions-examples#carrying-material-or-equipment-for-use-in-your-work..

I have only every driven under Tacho conditions.

If I am correct you might fall foul of needing a Tacho if you carry waste.

It is a mine-field.... That is why I said the best thing to do is to talk to VOSA... That way you know what the score is..

Edited by Jamie Jones

1 hour ago, WesD said:

Ok soooooo next question, how hard is it to get a vehicle changed to Ag spec?

Easiest way is at the post office Wes, fill in a v112 and use "A" as the exemption and tax it as agricultural machine.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/737342/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf

There have been changes to this as of July of this year, a normal "B" car licence an ag  vehicle over 7500kg has mileage restrictions but not if you have the correct license for the weight/combo of the vehicle. Tractor tax classes have all sorts of restrictions on weights ,mileage and uses. Ag machines under 3.5mts wide dont. Still flicking through all this so will pull down the relevant bits and paste them up later in the week.

Bob

6 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:

If I am correct you might fall foul of needing a Tacho if you carry waste.

It is a mine-field.... That is why I said the best thing to do is to talk to VOSA... That way you know what the score is..

Talking to VOSA is not going to necessarily help, as depending on who you talk to you will get a different answer...

As to carrying waste.. we have not had the waste discussion on here for ages..  

• Like 1

On 30/10/2018 at 19:30, WesD said:

Do you need a tach?

Only if using it for business use,  which I would think you are.    I have a tach in my Defender as pulling a trailer I can max out at about 5.3 tonnes.  Been pulled off the M6 for a vech check including tacho in the days when I used a Disco instead,

A

15 hours ago, TIMON said:

The last time I looked it was 100km but that was on a limited/restricted hgv ops licence.

It may have changed since then, or are you thinking of AG regs?

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/2014/10/06/changes-to-tachograph-rules-for-local-journeys/

No,  I got pulled off the M6 north of Birmingham in a Police/Vosa check with a Disco and IFW 10 foot box trailer,   they said 35 miles if on buisness ( I sell and deliver stoves and cookers)  That was about 2014 time though hence I figured maybe things have changed.  My brothers are farmers and pull bigger cattle trailers with no tacho as they are exempt.

A