7.5tonner

WesD

I'll take that as a no then Ratty. It's a long time since I drove a 7.5 for work, at the time we used to run on logbooks, so did all the contract HGV drivers.

Yeah its all digi tacho’s now, (analogue if you wagons ancient like yourself [emoji23]) gets more complicated soon as you go on to operators licence etc as stated above by others..... drivers cpc required and service / inspection records required dictated by type of job, distances / milages covered over time periods etc, definitely all required if its for hire and reward. Personal use differs slightly but if your earning off it then it all applies. Its a Nightmare to be fair Yolky.

55 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

After reading this its a wonder anyone bothers...  

its a wonder why anyone wants a car mind these days..  paid a fine, 450 earlier this year for not sorning my van, this week a fine for no insurance, 50 quid.. didn't even know I had no insurance..

got another threatening letter the other week about sorning the same van I got fined for..  I had it in mind once I'd been fined it was done and dusted.. no, months later they start all over again..

meant to be buying a downgraded Iveco, but just now I fancy getting it to ram the damned VOSA offices  for pissing me the fk off..  

had to phone VOSA  up to get a new log book just so I could sorn my old van..  another 25 quid..  a fkin joke...

A Donkey and cart must be looming ? must addmitt its crossed my mind once or twice,,,

41 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Yeah its all digi tacho’s now, (analogue if you wagons ancient like yourself emoji23.png) gets more complicated soon as you go on to operators licence etc as stated above by others..... drivers cpc required and service / inspection records required dictated by type of job, distances / milages covered over time periods etc, definitely all required if its for hire and reward. Personal use differs slightly but if your earning off it then it all applies. Its a Nightmare to be fair Yolky.

Personal use differs?

Just clear this up for me Ratty. What do you mean by the above. 

Personal use differs?

Just clear this up for me Ratty. What do you mean by the above. 

There are exclusions for running a vehicle if you are using it in a certain radius for your own personal use. Not sure on exact distance, but for example if you wanted to drag something back from say 10 miles away for yourself back to your yard then you can. So say you brought a trailer full of logs back and cut them up for firewood for yourself then its allowed.
“But” if for example you were dragging a trailer full of logs back to your yard and those logs were to end up being processed and sold on as firewood or whatever to the public or a customer, then you are making an income off it and so the activity is classed as hire & reward, then you will be succumbed to operators, tacho, driving time, working time, blah blah. Think benedmonds has put some links up on an earlier thread highlighting same thing. .gov can blow your mind tho and start to portrait the “grey areas” sometimes.

9 hours ago, Ratman said:

There are exclusions for running a vehicle if you are using it in a certain radius for your own personal use. Not sure on exact distance, but for example if you wanted to drag something back from say 10 miles away for yourself back to your yard then you can. So say you brought a trailer full of logs back and cut them up for firewood for yourself then its allowed.
“But” if for example you were dragging a trailer full of logs back to your yard and those logs were to end up being processed and sold on as firewood or whatever to the public or a customer, then you are making an income off it and so the activity is classed as hire & reward, then you will be succumbed to operators, tacho, driving time, working time, blah blah. Think benedmonds has put some links up on an earlier thread highlighting same thing. .gov can blow your mind tho and start to portrait the “grey areas” sometimes.

I don't think there are grey areas..

You can't use a personal use exemption if you are running a business so will need O licence and therefore regular checks

But there are tacho and driver cpc exemptions  if (like most tree surgeons) you are less than 100km from base and:

used to carry materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of his work and when driving the vehicle is not the driver’s main activity

Edited by benedmonds

Just buy a dodge/ldv/bedford 4x4 and register it ag/forestry, then fit a tipper body. Cant get any easier and bullshit free than that. Drive on an ordinary car licence up to 31 tons, down side is no motorways. They have left this exemption in place for ag/ forestry for some strange reason but have done away with it for limited use and plant registered vehicles based on an hgv chassis.

Bob

You nutters out there can legally drive an MOT exempt,tax exempt, O`license  and tacho exempt tug like this on a car license using red diesel if its for ag/forestry use the same as a Mog :scared1:

7F19C1E4-6531-454D-BF59-71CAB07E8463_zps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are there speed restrictions, or distance from Home limits associated with that Ag/Forestry registeration Bob?

I know a few local farmers are running cheap, past MOT'ing pickups, registered as farm vehicles, running on rebated diesel, BUT, limited to operating within some very few miles from their designated farm address.

But 100% legal.

Just buy a dodge/ldv/bedford 4x4 and register it ag/forestry, then fit a tipper body. Cant get any easier and bullshit free than that. Drive on an ordinary car licence up to 31 tons, down side is no motorways. They have left this exemption in place for ag/ forestry for some strange reason but have done away with it for limited use and plant registered vehicles based on an hgv chassis.

Bob

You nutters out there can legally drive an MOT exempt,tax exempt, O`license  and tacho exempt tug like this on a car license using red diesel if its for ag/forestry use the same as a Mog :scared1:

7F19C1E4-6531-454D-BF59-71CAB07E8463_zpsd89qs7xj.jpeg

Sounds good Bob,
You sure?

A guy local to me uses this old DAF apparently Ag registered.

No O licence, tacho and can drive on a normal drivers licence apparently?

Not sure if that is legal but if what bob says is true then it could be..

My quick research looks like if its a 4x4 you might be OK..

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg