Hows the budget effecting you?

jon18uk

2 hours ago, john p said:

We are moving our log cabin on to our land, will be off grid electricity wise, about 10,000 to install a solar power system that will give us continuous power (batteries/inverter etc) to run the place. Should pay for itself in 7/8 years.

Did you get it passed John?

6 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

If anyone can explain why solar panels aren't a legal requirement on every new build that would make me happy.

The reason is because of one of the most important principals of energy policy, that governments shouldn't pick winners. There are numerous examples (of which many from the UK) of costly failed policy caused by governments promoting one tech over another. Instead governments should be tech neutral with their support, and let the market and technologies decide which is best. So you could maybe argue instead that all new builds need a certain kW of renewable technology per square foot, but not a specific tech.

• Like 1

It wouldn’t make new builds too expensive mate. 
If you can retro-fit a whole system for a few grand it must be worth doing as part of a new build project costing £100k minimum, and everyone had to do it so you weren’t losing out to competitors?

No brainer to me.

I can’t think of a single valid reason the government doesn’t go with this.

Unless the existing power companies have their snout in the policy trough....

If it’s a good idea for them, people will do it voluntarily. If it’s not a good idea, no reason for the government to push it on people.
You’re probably right about the lobbying.

53 minutes ago, Lucan said:

The reason is because of one of the most important principals of energy policy, that governments shouldn't pick winners. There are numerous examples (of which many from the UK) of costly failed policy caused by governments promoting one tech over another. Instead governments should be tech neutral with their support, and let the market and technologies decide which is best. So you could maybe argue instead that all new builds need a certain kW of renewable technology per square foot, but not a specific tech.

I get that.

But surely the tech that has the planet as a winner should be trumps?

Solar/wind/farts/sex-bed-motion whatever.

Solar is an easy shoe-in now. It exists. It’s doable. If anyone else comes up with something, great.

Picking winners? 

Who wouldn’t pick a winner that solved the domestic energy crisis?

Nice try Lucan.

Next up, please....

I get that.

But surely the tech that has the planet as a winner should be trumps?

Solar/wind/farts/sex-bed-motion whatever.

Solar is an easy shoe-in now. It exists. It’s doable. If anyone else comes up with something, great.

Picking winners? 

Who wouldn’t pick a winner that solved the domestic energy crisis?

Nice try Lucan.

Next up, please....

What domestic energy crisis? Idiots pay too much and will be poor until they’re dead. Shrewd consumers have worked out better ways and their wives’ bosoms are the best in all the land. Seems fine to me.

Now imagine the government mandates that you have to use a certain energy type, possibly from an approved supplier (an MP’s cousin probably). That’s a monopoly and everyone would be equally fucked. As a shrewd consumer, I don’t want that.

• Like 1

I’ll take a product from a Vietnamese sweatshop over one that customarily involves war to acquire. Or I’ll use neither. That’s a market choice. Not relevant though, besides considering whether you’d trust government renewable power sources to be any more ethically procured.

As an aside (but relevant), my last year’s electricity and gas bill came to a tenner but my water bill was four-hundred-and-something pounds. Guess which market has competitors and which market has a state enforced monopoly.