Hows the budget effecting you?

jon18uk

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

I totally agree, but I don't like the way people driving electric cars think they are being super green.

Don't they know how most electricity is still made?

Chainsaws don't even come into the equation, we need to look at the bigger picture.

If anyone can explain why solar panels aren't a legal requirement on every new build that would make me happy.

I do realise that the concrete and manufacturing involved in a wind turbine makes its green credentials suspect, but would like to be able to afford an electric car in order to charge it off our turbine. No tax, and few running costs, but just too expensive to justify a purchase at the moment.

I thought all new housing was supposed to show its green credentials by being super insulated and have panels in place?

41 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

what sort of money does it cost to have solar panels fitted to say an average sized 4 bed detached?

Don't know but there used to be grants floating about for them, might be worth having a look round the council/government websites.

What I'm getting at is the government should be saying - You want to build a new house? Fine. Solar panels compulsory. End of.

Level playing field for everyone, so no one could whinge about increased cost.

Every new house energy self sufficient, and probably enough surplus to power the electric car on the drive.

• Like 2

What I'm getting at is the government should be saying - You want to build a new house? Fine. Solar panels compulsory. End of.
Level playing field for everyone, so no one could whinge about increased cost.
Every new house energy self sufficient, and probably enough surplus to power the electric car on the drive.

I agree it’s criminal that every house doesn’t have all the very widely available stuff that makes bills smaller and probably saves whales but making things compulsory will just put the price through the roof. Car insurance is an example. Me and a mate both drive shitters worth about £300 with a full tank. Mine is in the UK, where insurance is mandatory, and costs £420 to insure. His is in New Zealand, where insurance isn’t, and costs £80.

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I agree it’s criminal that every house doesn’t have all the very widely available stuff that makes bills smaller and probably saves whales but making things compulsory will just put the price through the roof. Car insurance is an example. Me and a mate both drive shitters worth about £300 with a full tank. Mine is in the UK, where insurance is mandatory, and costs £420 to insure. His is in New Zealand, where insurance isn’t, and costs £80.

It wouldn’t make new builds too expensive mate. 

If you can retro-fit a whole system for a few grand it must be worth doing as part of a new build project costing £100k minimum, and everyone had to do it so you weren’t losing out to competitors?

No brainer to me.

I can’t think of a single valid reason the government doesn’t go with this.

Unless the existing power companies have their snout in the policy trough....

• Like 1