Small stove recommendation

7 minutes ago, neiln said:

Most 5kW nominal stoves are rated at 7 ish max though surely?  Well the 2 I have experience of, Franco belge Belfort 7.5kW max, stovax Stockton 5, 7 kW max.

Agreed . My " nominal " 5KW Burley has got to be around 8KW when its angry .

• Like 1

We  have a Firefox 5 multifuel in the small front room ....10 x 15 ft . After an hr or so of burning it gets very warm ...so we open the room  door to let the heat flow throughout the house . Its  also  very frugal on wood .  Ive just fitted  the same  Firefox 5 model in my eldest sons house .  Outstanding value . 

The issue is that all stoves need to be CE tested, as I understand it the stove manufacturer usually gets to supply the test fuel as specify how many bits are to be burnt on a test.

The public want bigger and bigger glass areas but dont want the air vent that has to be installed with all stoves with a 5.1kw or more nominal rating.    5.0kw or below no air vent is needed unless the property is built post 2007 but it is good practise/ recommended to install same if room is effectively air tight.

So manufacturers are now building big stoves but having them rated at 5.0 kw thus negating the need for a vent.   3 logs burnt on a small stove with yield about 4.5kw,  the same 3 burnt on a big one will yield the same.

Thus there are now many 'widescreen' stoves on the market rated at 5kw with a max output of 9kw or so.  The Hamlet and Aarrow ( Arada) are both of this type.   As such they are very unsuited to a 3m x 4m room as the thread started has.   The true 5kw output stove will have a max output of around 6.5kw.  

The output of any stove will depend on what you fuel it with and what volume of fuel is loaded,  people when loading a stove always tend to fill it to capacity.   With a modern stove that does not lead to extended burn times but a higher heat output for the same 45 mins or so before the next refuel.

This practise has in effect killed demand for any traditional stove between 5kw and 8kw as a widescreen will do the  job nicely and will not usually need air vents installing.  We have got a couple of Arada Ecoburn 7 freestanding stoves if anyone wants a deal !!.  

A

Lol yes I meant the room door!

odd isn't it, an airbrick is easy to add but so avoided, although I suspect the need for 6 inch flue liner not 5 inch is a second and very good reason to stick to the lower kW stove.  Where are customers putting these stoves?  in a fireplace?  if so then I how do they fit a wider stove that is too big for the room?  the fireplace would be sized to the room, the stove that fits the fireplace must be (roughly) sized to the room too....roughly 

how big are your logs?  3 on either of mine and its brutal, its not 4.5kW

45 minutes?  conifer and burning fairly hard, 45  yeah.  oak...hour and half, apple or quince....2 hours +.  

9 hours ago, neiln said:

Lol yes I meant the room door!

odd isn't it, an airbrick is easy to add but so avoided, although I suspect the need for 6 inch flue liner not 5 inch is a second and very good reason to stick to the lower kW stove.  Where are customers putting these stoves?  in a fireplace?  if so then I how do they fit a wider stove that is too big for the room?  the fireplace would be sized to the room, the stove that fits the fireplace must be (roughly) sized to the room too....roughly 

how big are your logs?  3 on either of mine and its brutal, its not 4.5kW

45 minutes?  conifer and burning fairly hard, 45  yeah.  oak...hour and half, apple or quince....2 hours +.  

You will need a 150mm but if your stove is approved by Defra for use burning wood within a smoke control area then you can now use a 125mm liner providing the stove has a 125mm outlet,.   Defra approved stoves are set up in such a way that you cant shut them all they way down,  shutting an old stove down radically increases smoke and particulate emissions and soot deposits in the flue liner.  Hence a bigger liner is needed in case it gets blocked.

Burn times do vary depending on the log size and moisture level,  burning very dry crap in my showroom all of which is cut pretty small for max flame effect then 40 mins is about it.    I have been burning a few lumps for Eucaliptus over the last few days,  that was still standing in March and by my normal standards is way to wet.     Its 17% on the outside which Woodsure says is acceptable,  it does burn and stays in maybe 90 minutes but its not a spectacular fire  which when selling the stove concept is what I need.  Heat output is also modest when compared to my roaring fires.

A