Do step ladders need certifying

carsmarco252

1 hour ago, carsmarco252 said:

Good morning. Do tripod steps need any sort of certification/formal checks (similar to loler) before I can let an employee use them? 

Thankyou. 

Oh yes, but under PUWER rather than LOLER, and if you take them on a construction site they'll likely be looking for documented evidence of such. There's a couple of inspection forms below but there may be more, or updated ones, on the 'Help for Arborists' section of the website (but have to be a member, at least Ordinary/Foundation level (£65 p/yr) to access it.)

If only occasional use I'd do the inspection as a recorded 'pre-use' (not point have lots of records when not used often enough to justify such.)

Cheers,

Paul

Leaning-Ladder-Inspection-Record(July 2013).docx

Step-Ladder-Inspection-Record(July 2013).docx

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
Added more info..
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, carsmarco252 said:

Thanks for the info. Are these recorded checks something I can do myself or do I have to take them somewhere periodically for a formal check? 

Reasonably, you could do these checks yourself but, ideally, some form of training should be undertaken (see https://ladderassociation.org.uk/training/ )

Keeping a sense of perspective here, the number of ladders sets, the frequency of use, the place of use, e.g. construction sites being a typical one, the level of user / operator, are all factors to consider in determining the level of training...and who needs to undertake it. So 'you' could do some formal training perhaps and then communicate the main points to staff via a Tool-box-Talk (TbT)...and record this on their personnel files.

Cheers,

Paul 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Geordie 1 said:

Just bought a set of Tripod Ladders and they're tested to EN131, well done Workware for putting me in touch with one of their  dealers that stocks the ladders, and for giving me the information that they have had them tested too EN131. Can use them anywhere now.

For now you can was talking to a ladder tester and supplier a month ago and the ladder rules are going to change but didn't fill me in with what is going to happen.