Being able to supply your demand

Lust4life

18 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago.... You spend all the time splitting with an axe then stacking then moving..... I then progressed to a 14t petrol splitter and then last year realised it still takes forever.

I can't buy straight lengths in as it leaves min profit and most of the wood I come by is ARB waste so I decided to build my own processor.

I got a large single axle trailer, an old twin cylinder Lister diesel engine, a 30 inch tct blade,and a couple of rams and a pump..... Lots of head scratching lots of welder burns but now my processer lives and cuts me a couple of  hundred tonnes a year....

All in it has cost me about 1k to build and it's how I wanted it and in the way I do things.... It won't win any beauty contest but it works and is safe and cuts all the logs I need.

Since having the processor done it works out that what I used to cut and split in a month can be done in just over a week....

That sounds awesome.  Have you got pics of your home made processor... or is it a carefully guarded secret?

51 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago.... You spend all the time splitting with an axe then stacking then moving..... I then progressed to a 14t petrol splitter and then last year realised it still takes forever.

I can't buy straight lengths in as it leaves min profit and most of the wood I come by is ARB waste so I decided to build my own processor.

I got a large single axle trailer, an old twin cylinder Lister diesel engine, a 30 inch tct blade,and a couple of rams and a pump..... Lots of head scratching lots of welder burns but now my processer lives and cuts me a couple of  hundred tonnes a year....

All in it has cost me about 1k to build and it's how I wanted it and in the way I do things.... It won't win any beauty contest but it works and is safe and cuts all the logs I need.

Since having the processor done it works out that what I used to cut and split in a month can be done in just over a week....

Yes!!! While I don't mind hard graft.... I've got better things to do then spent  2hrs a night splitting stacking and moving.  And then 40mins loading the load by hand for customer. My other issue as other guys have guessed is  that it's mainly ARB waste so supply is up and down... can't really say no to a customer as it's a  nice little cash in hand side line. Where esle is a good source of free logs?? Dead and fallen trees at road side?

These are not the best pics in the world....

When i first finished the bed it had a wooden sled however that didn't last very long, so about 1 month ago I bought it home to put on the 1x1 steel box bed, this seems to have worked...

Now I just need to process the stuff i have at home and then get it back to my land to start processing in jan. However I have a full time job and run a business and a log sideline....

The gap between the blade is about 10" and I don't tend to get anything that much bigger if I do then the logs get split with wedges and processed.

Sorry about the mess in background I have had to clear a storage unit out whilst the new barn gets built to house it all...

20181102_153200.jpg

20181102_153151.jpg

20181102_153137.jpg

20181102_153128.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taff855 said:

These are not the best pics in the world....

When i first finished the bed it had a wooden sled however that didn't last very long, so about 1 month ago I bought it home to put on the 1x1 steel box bed, this seems to have worked...

Now I just need to process the stuff i have at home and then get it back to my land to start processing in jan. However I have a full time job and run a business and a log sideline....

The gap between the blade is about 10" and I don't tend to get anything that much bigger if I do then the logs get split with wedges and processed.

Sorry about the mess in background I have had to clear a storage unit out whilst the new barn gets built to house it all...

20181102_153200.jpg

20181102_153151.jpg

20181102_153137.jpg

20181102_153128.jpg

Cool setup. Who cares if it's a bit Mcgyver. If it works it works. My issue seems at the minute is having enough ARB waste at the right time. Could have 3 take-downs in a week and nothing for 4months... it's also a sideline for me out of being on a crew. I'd like to expand and offer other potential clients but I don't feel I can meet demands at mo. 

I found in the past that as soon as people know you are clearing wood they seem to have a tree or know someone that wants a tree removed.

what then happens is I have to give a basic price (bare price for the work because the profit is in the logs you get for free and sell on as second job).

I'm all for making a profit but the government seem to try that at every turn leaving nothing left for me. I don't try and con people by saying " I'm " burning the wood, but I do point out what I will have to do to clear costs and profit.... people seem to understand and give me the job because I'm upfront and they feel like they ate not being ripped off.

or just get friendly with local council especially winter time they are always looking to drop loads around here...

• Like 2

On 03/11/2018 at 17:28, Taff855 said:

I found in the past that as soon as people know you are clearing wood they seem to have a tree or know someone that wants a tree removed.

what then happens is I have to give a basic price (bare price for the work because the profit is in the logs you get for free and sell on as second job).

I'm all for making a profit but the government seem to try that at every turn leaving nothing left for me. I don't try and con people by saying " I'm " burning the wood, but I do point out what I will have to do to clear costs and profit.... people seem to understand and give me the job because I'm upfront and they feel like they ate not being ripped off.

or just get friendly with local council especially winter time they are always looking to drop loads around here...

No you don't have to give a base price for clearing the tree/s. That's one job. Price it accordingly.  You remove the cut down tree and dispose of it in that price.

Cutting it up into firewood, storing/seasoning it and delivering the end product to a customer is a completely different job. 

Ask yourself this. If the tree is so valuable as profit/firewood, why don't all the people who have trees being removed all just keep the trees themselves and sell it and make all that lovely profit themselves? You are undervaluing yourself and doing 2 jobs for one income. 

• Like 2