Thinking about having a part time employee

carsmarco252

15 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Can I ask how old you were when the recession hit, and what responsibilities you had?

My main responsibilities were feeding unnecessarily-fancy food to Russian oligarchs and their film star wives whilst hiding behind a fake smile and trying not to die inside. But what I, or any other individual, was doing at any moment in the past doesn’t mean a thing, and it seems pointless to bring it up.

The point is that it isn’t people expressing their concerns about impending financial turmoil that causes the financial turmoil. You can put a brave face on it as much as you want, but a stiff upper lip isn’t really going to put food on the table when things go belly-up.

Anyway, best not derail this thread any further. Apologies, carsmarco252!

9 minutes ago, peds said:

My main responsibilities were feeding unnecessarily-fancy food to Russian oligarchs and their film star wives whilst hiding behind a fake smile and trying not to die inside. But what I, or any other individual, was doing at any moment in the past doesn’t mean a thing, and it seems pointless to bring it up.

The point is that it isn’t people expressing their concerns about impending financial turmoil that causes the financial turmoil. You can put a brave face on it as much as you want, but a stiff upper lip isn’t really going to put food on the table when things go belly-up.

12 minutes ago, peds said:

The point is that it isn’t people expressing their concerns about impending financial turmoil that causes the financial turmoil

Actually it is a contributing factor wether you agree or not.  Why is it that work always quietens down before any general election?  Because people fear change and hold onto their money. Its the same every time.  If you had run a business for any amount of time you would have witnessed this yourself.  And yes, this has a knock on effect all the way across the board.  So what Mark is saying is correct.  Regardless of the outcome of brexit, people changing their business practices out of fear of the future is only going to compound any potential problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, peds said:

Did you sit round the student union in your spare time?

23 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Actually it is a contributing factor wether you agree or not.  Why is it that work always quietens down before any general election?  Because people fear change and hold onto their money. Its the same every time.  If you had run a business for any amount of time you would have witnessed this yourself.  And yes, this has a knock on effect all the way across the board.  So what Mark is saying is correct.  Regardless of the outcome of brexit, people changing their business practices out of fear of the future is only going to compound any potential problems.

I don’t disagree with a word of that dude. My point is that it isn’t the people voicing their concerns about the future who are to blame (as they are not the root cause), and chastising someone who has worries that they (or the person they are advising) might not be able to pay an employee isn’t exactly constructive. You could just as easily argue that a gung-ho attitude with no regards to the realities of the situation is just as damaging, or possibly even more so.

But I wouldn’t know about that, I mean I was managing kitchens and not an arb company. So I probably don’t have a clue.

Edited by peds