Thinking about having a part time employee

carsmarco252

My business has reached a point where I think I need a part time employee. I have tried the subcontractor and cash in hand route but I just can't rely on them enough so I wanted more stability and security. I think to start with somebody to help me with ground work, hedge cutting, chipping etc. I need advice please on what training/certification I need for tripod steps (do they have to have formal checks or does an employee need training on how to use them) and would an employee need a lantra/nptc ticket before they can operate my hedge cutters or micro chipper? 

Just trying to find out how much I need to do as a current sole trader and how much I will need to spend on someone. 

I am considering becomming limited to protect my assets, using an accountant for payslips / tax, ins, holidays etc. Also on hse website it states with less than 5 employees the paperwork is less comprehensive 

3 hours ago, carsmarco252 said:

My business has reached a point where I think I need a part time employee. I have tried the subcontractor and cash in hand route but I just can't rely on them enough so I wanted more stability and security. I think to start with somebody to help me with ground work, hedge cutting, chipping etc. I need advice please on what training/certification I need for tripod steps (do they have to have formal checks or does an employee need training on how to use them) and would an employee need a lantra/nptc ticket before they can operate my hedge cutters or micro chipper? 

Just trying to find out how much I need to do as a current sole trader and how much I will need to spend on someone. 

I am considering becomming limited to protect my assets, using an accountant for payslips / tax, ins, holidays etc. Also on hse website it states with less than 5 employees the paperwork is less comprehensive 

You say you cant rely on subcontractor/cash in hand, i work with several arb crews along with my own work, 3 of them i get 2-3 wk notice off and occasionally less but one guy who proberbaly wants me the most i do the least work with, reason why he has this nasty habbit of ringing me and asking what you doing tomorrow tusday and wednesday so i just say working then he asks if i can alter things to accomadate him answer is no, then i ask him how long has he known about this job and it generally 2-3 wk so i have asked him and told him why cant he give me more than 24 hrs notice if he has known for a couple of wks so basically i have told him if he cant plan 2 wk in addvance and give me 2 wk notice not to ring me,the other 3 crews i have had to cancell one day in what 5 years due to a funeral ,

and yes NPTC training for chipper saw hedge cutter pole saw etc and all PPE will have to be provided plus employee liabilaty along with other things,

personally i would wait till after this brexit deal goes through (if it ever does) as if some thing happens thats not forcast to happen and we go in to another reccession it may cost you quite a bit to get rid of some one i would mudell on for now till the future looks a bit clearer,

• Like 1

To be honest in the last recession I was just as busy as when we weren't in it. So to me it looks like unless I want someone to operate anything other than a rake I must find someone with tickets already or I will need to pay to put them through their tickets. 

I really am excited about the thought of a staff member but I'm also really scared about getting screwed if something goes wrong. Can they use step ladders for hedge cutting or is that a no no? 

29 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Tbh I looked at this thread and thought too many questions, you’ve been in business a good while and you still are unaware of some employment law issues?

Mick Dempsey has got a point.  You need to look into it properly if you employ someone.

And yes you can ask them to do anything (within reason) but you are responsible for making sure they are fully trained, supervised, and that everything is risk assessed.  It is true with fewer than five employees you do not need written risk assessments but you still need to consider all the risks.

And of course you need to be able to DEMONSTRATE that your employee is properly trained and supervised, so that is where the course certificates come in.

Edited by Squaredy