Converting 4x4 pick up to a tipper

tonytree

1 hour ago, tonytree said:

I’m in Kent near Maidstone 

That looks well mate, it’s the sort of thing I’m after. Did you have to move the fuel tank or lines as my fuel cap is on the tub that would have to be removed It’s a 62 plate.  Did you strengthen the chassis or just bolted it on as such. 

Thanks for the reply 

My chassis needed a bit of welding anyway so when I had the tub off I got all that done. The frame will actually strengthen your chassis and in the steel alone, it's lighter than the tub. 

I just made a frame that bolted onto the 6 existing bed mounts, was easy to do.

I probably paid overboard for the steel too, I ordered it all from metal4u and it came cut to size, so all I had to do was weld it together and drill some holes.

Didn't have to move my fuel tank/lines, my filler cap not sits in an ally mount I made instead of in the tub, the angle isn't quiet what it should be, put if I put the nozzle upside down at the garage she'll fill up quick.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Yeah it's pretty simple, I'm no mastermind with a welder. I spent about £1000-1200 converting mine, but I only have a wooden body as aluminum would whack another £1500 to that budget.

I spent the most headscratching trying to figure out how to mount the ram, try and get a ram with the mounting brackets from it's host vehicle, will make your life a lot easier!

IMG-20180930-WA0002.thumb.jpg.f390f3b601f26a0e06cb5aae54630f53.jpg
Where did you get a price for the ally planking? Last time I spoke to service metals I could get all the planking to do a similar size body for around 800 delivered
To be honest I don’t think I’d have the skill/patience to attempt it myself, so I’ll be looking at getting a company to build it for me. If you don’t mind me asking how much did the company charge you?
I paid 4080 inc vat for mine which included full height double barn doors at the back and a full height lockable tool locker at the front. I've had to do a couple of repairs though due to poor welding, hence saying I'd just do it my self in future but considering most people wanted 6-6.5k+vat I can cope with a bit of tinkering. Just be aware when getting quotes for it, it seems to be a bit of a niche market which results in (in my opinion) unreasonable prices considering the materials and time involved
  • Like 1

I priced up the raw materials myself, again from metals4u, time you add up all the joints/angle iron for planking and supporting beams to make it not shake all over it gets pretty pricey.

My dad also rang some guy in the SE asking how much to make just the tipping frame, not body, he was quoted £3500+vat for something that cost me less than £700.

Edited by Mark Wileman

I priced up the raw materials myself, again from metals4u, time you add up all the joints/angle iron for planking and supporting beams to make it not shake all over it gets pretty pricey.

My dad also rang some guy in the SE asking how much to make just the tipping frame, not body, he was quoted £3500+vat for something that cost me less than £700.
That's probably why the price was so high, if you still fancy ally plank sides then getbintouch with service metals.

Yeah, for some reason everyone wants loads of money to do a tipper conversion event though there isn't really that much work in it as I'm sure you well know

3 minutes ago, Coletti said:

That's probably why the price was so high, if you still fancy ally plank sides then getbintouch with service metals.

Yeah, for some reason everyone wants loads of money to do a tipper conversion event though there isn't really that much work in it as I'm sure you well know

Yeah, in the end I ran out of cash and had to get her working so spent under £150 on wood to make my body, it won't last forever and I plan on getting an ally one to my 2400*1700 dimensions made locally. Probably with barn doors etc...

Thanks for all your replies I’ve had a quick look on eBay and found this guy, don’t suppose anyone on here has used them or know of them. 
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253141548122
I haven't used him, but only because the people I used were 1.5hrs closer than he was. Spoke with him a bit to get a quote for the spec I wanted and he was very reasonable with his pricing and very acomodating with regards to what I wanted. Only way yo k is for sure really would be to take the plunge I guess. I believe he has an fb page with pics of his work

I haven't used him, but only because the people I used were 1.5hrs closer than he was. Spoke with him a bit to get a quote for the spec I wanted and he was very reasonable with his pricing and very acomodating with regards to what I wanted. Only way yo k is for sure really would be to take the plunge I guess. I believe he has an fb page with pics of his work

Yeah I think your right I’ll have to give him a call tomorrow besides anything is better than shovelling chip out the back [emoji23]