Mobile Log Splitting

Mark Wileman

Does anyone do it?

Worthwhile? Lucrative?

Guys around me do it for £20 an hour, I can't see how to make any money on that - but I'm trying to justify buying a big splitter.  Going mobile with it a couple of days a month would pay for it a lot faster than just doing a few logs here and there..

I bought a log splitter a few months ago as i had a good few tons of logs on my drive & couldn't get motivated to get stuck in with my axe .

Over 3 days ( it would of been faster if I had someone helping ) I split enough wood for 2 winters for my stove ( my stove is big )

Now within days of bringing logs home I just get the splitter out & split the wood .

I wish I bought a splitter years ago !

Ive not came across a log the splitter can't split yet .

I'm going to have to sell the logs soon as I'm running out of space !

Anything that makes life easier or work easier is definitely a good thing .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stuartt said:

I bought a log splitter a few months ago as i had a good few tons of logs on my drive & couldn't get motivated to get stuck in with my axe .

Over 3 days ( it would of been faster if I had someone helping ) I split enough wood for 2 winters for my stove ( my stove is big )

Now within days of bringing logs home I just get the splitter out & split the wood .

I wish I bought a splitter years ago !

Ive not came across a log the splitter can't split yet .

I'm going to have to sell the logs soon as I'm running out of space !

Anything that makes life easier or work easier is definitely a good thing .

I totally get that, along with buying well once instead of cheap multiple times! The realities of my business expanding is trying to figure out what to buy in terms of returns, since I have a wishlist of about 10 bits of machinery/plant that I could find work for!

What splitter do you have and how big is it? I've been looking at a 12T, light enough to move around with ease and I've split on a 10T frequently in the past and that only struggled on big 2 year old beech rounds.

I don't bother to much with returns , if I need it I need it .

Some things I need more than others but I need everything I buy .

I bought the rock machinery 12T venom with the Briggs engine .

They do a cheaper 1 with a cheaper engine .

I bought a rock machinery stump grinder a few years ago & it's been good , I don't need it much but when I need it I need it .

I hate buying shit tools as they cost more in the long run .

I'm only 1 hour from rock machinery & both times I've gone to see them they have done me a good deal .

Edited by Stuartt
Mis spelt

I would be surprised if you found work much work for it beyond what you need to do for yourself. I do firewood processing and the going rate for guys with the Farmi is around £30 and hour and I am not rushed off my feet with work for it. If you are limited to customers with rings and no lengths your customer pool gets smaller still. Also the Farmi handles rings very well and is faster than most vertical splitters.

So for the negativity but calling it as I see it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I would be surprised if you found work much work for it beyond what you need to do for yourself. I do firewood processing and the going rate for guys with the Farmi is around £30 and hour and I am not rushed off my feet with work for it. If you are limited to customers with rings and no lengths your customer pool gets smaller still. Also the Farmi handles rings very well and is faster than most vertical splitters.

So for the negativity but calling it as I see it.

I thought that was the case, lets put it this way I don't think I've ever seen a log splitter being towed/on a trailer around here.... thats probably a pretty good indicator :)

Stuart, how does the 12T go, I'm tempted by her.

Hi there. 

I do mobile splitting, I’ve got a 16 ton splitter that I put on my trailer and take to farms and tree surgeons alike and charge £25 p h for me and splitting then put another £15 p h for second man and chainsawing. 

I do 4 local farms and 2 tree surgeons but I struggle to get to them as I’m so busy on my own wood. There is money to be made , put some feelers out with local tree surgeons/ farms / estate owners see if anyone wants any doing before investing. 

I upgraded my splitter 2 years ago and I could probably sell it now for 3/4 what I paid for it and buy a new one with profits from just the mobile jobs. 

Hope this helps. 

Rob