Thermal gloves/liner recommendations

Gnarlyoak

1 hour ago, htb said:

Mark etc any improvement, mine still get cold just not as bad, makes it manageable, with rotating gloves at breaks

I would say a bit better mate.

It was brutal on Saturday, about 4 degrees but wet and windy.

One finger on my left hand was white by the end, but I’ve been a lot worse in the past.

Ice Grips did really well till they were soaked and I foolishly left my spares in the workshop.

https://www.clarkforest.com/shop/safety-clothing/pfanner-gloves/pfanner-stretchflex-thermo-gloves
I've been using these for about a month now and they've been excellent - keep your hands dry and warm at least half a soggy day per pair. (Sneaky tip - pop them inside the chipper on top of the engine at lunchtime to warm and dry)
And goatskin is good and tough, much more flexible and grippy than leather :-)

18 hours ago, htb said:

Mark etc any improvement, mine still get cold just not as bad, makes it manageable, with rotating gloves at breaks

Best glove combo that I've tried so far is Rab Merino Wool base layer with Towa Powergrab thermo as top layer glove. Still just about functionable whilst climbing but you do lose a degree of dexterity & occasionally fumble a bit with ropes & 'biners. Though pretty good on the ground. Still gets pretty brutal on the hands when they get wet though, for me anyway.

Also tried nitrile & silk base layers. Nitrile absolutely pants! Just seem to wick away any heat in a nano second wet or dry! Silk not too bad if temp is in single digits and dry, not so good when its cooler or wet!!

Have tried Pfanner Ice Grip as a top layer, but these are not so good in climbing scenario, seem lose too much manual dexterity & feels like I've got sausages for fingers when trying to work 'biners. Not too bad on the ground, but again hands begin to suffer pretty badly once they get wet.

Have also gone down the supplement route in conjunction with different glove combos, been taking Ginkgo for just over a month now with no discernible positive effect that I'm able to gauge thus far. Have just started taking Turmeric as well now in addition to the Ginkgo. Have also just got a pair of Stihl function Thermogrip gloves as an alternative top layer, not had a chance to use them yet, but construction wise they feel a bit like an "in between" the Towa & Pfanner gloves!

I wouldn't hold your breath for turmeric to help the Raynaud's.  I've been taking turmeric for a while for arthritis in one wrist and the Raynaud's continues to slowly get worse.

My understanding of turmeric is that it's an anti-inflammatory and I don't think Raynaud's is an inflammation issue is it?

2 hours ago, nepia said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for turmeric to help the Raynaud's.  I've been taking turmeric for a while for arthritis in one wrist and the Raynaud's continues to slowly get worse.

My understanding of turmeric is that it's an anti-inflammatory and I don't think Raynaud's is an inflammation issue is it?

Yep, good point Nepia.

Reynauds is a circulatory problem, not an inflammation issue.

For me personally, I have the dual issue of Reynauds & arthritis, I'm hoping that by taking Turmeric it may have a positive effect on my stiff arthritic finger joints to lessen the double whammy impact of having both problems with my hands on the cold dark dank miserable days.

I suppose what I really should do is make an appointment to see the quack & get a script for the Reynauds. But a, I don't need the lecture about packing in the fags & b, being self employed once I eventually get thru to the surgery how do I know if I'll be free in 4-6 weeks time to make the next available appointment!!

But now a further update on the glove options scenario. The Stihl function Thermogrip glove are rubbish for climbing. Even more sausage fingered than the Pfanners! Bah!!