Thermal gloves/liner recommendations

Gnarlyoak

With winter fast approaching I'm looking for any tried & tested recommendations for thermal gloves or liners that can cope without our cold & damp British wintry climate.

I suffer with arthritic finger joints, with a dash of Reynaud's thrown in, which in the winter can be excruciatingly painful (think -  someone's just whacked your fingers on an anvil with a lump hammer kind of painful!) and lead to numbness in the entire finger from tip to palm. So I'm looking for a good all round thermal glove or liner that can help me cope in typical British wintry conditions and yet be able to maintain a good level of manual dexterity to be able climb and manipulate 'biners & ropes etc whilst up in the tree.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues and found a product or method that works or know someone who has. Would love to hear from and hopefully benefit from your experience. Do silk liners work, how about merino wool worn under "B-flex" nitrile palm coated gloves, neoprene maybe, any out there thin enough to work without compromising dexterous flexibility?

Last couple of winters I had a thin pair of knitted thermal glove, which I'd wear under my day to day B-Flex work gloves. They helped but when they got wet were pretty much useless at helping my hands retain any heat. Since we can be certain that a UK winter will be anything but consistently dry, especially in NW England, I'm looking for something that will perform well even when wet.

Many thanks in anticipation for your help & suggestions.

Going to hard to find something that does all that. Give withing glove will be prone to slippage, possibly unsafe. For manual work in the cold I use generic industrial freezer gloves, they cheap, like 10 euro a pair, so you can buy a bunch and swap them out if they get wet. They're nitrile palm and fingers, fleece pile inside and elastomer top and cuff. Dexterity not as good as the platinum black and grey rigger (fitter?) gloves, you know the ones, but better than wool. The nitrile grip surface at least gives you some traction

I worked in all conditions last winter in Norway.

Pfanner Ice grip were some of the best I tried.

My main problem is size 11’s are a bit big but doable.  Size 10’s in thermal work gloves tend to be a tad too tight and I lose the circulation in my fingers.  Usually end up taking the gloves of and climbing bare handed to get the blood back.

Kind of defeats the object of cold weather gloves.

Thanks for input so far lads n lasses.

EwardsC: Not to sure I want to stick a my hands up the bum hole of two minions called Rab!!  9_9:D

Fisting a minion might help keep my hands warm but they look like they'd be a bit cumbersome for fiddling about with ropes & biners and the like whilst dangling in the tree.

DTurnbull: Cheers for that link fella. Some useful info and links in there. I did do a quick search on this topic before I posted, but hadn't delved as far back as 2014.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1