selling grounds / garden contracts

miker

3 hours ago, Vespasian said:

instead of trying to squeeze some cash out the contract why not give them to someone else instead. its obvious you don't want to do em yourself...   or can't for some reason..

Why must you default to your own greed before doin the decent thing and letting someone who can and wants to, take on the job without the expense of buying work for themselves..

I've never understood this selling rounds business..  or buying em for that matter..  

finders fee's are another concept that drives me round the bend..   if I know someone that wants a job doing and I know someone willing to do it..  I'm more than willing to pass on the info without the need to stiff em for ten percent of their wages..  

I'm full square alongside you on this one Vesp as a general approach - but, mindful that we don't know all of the background behind this particular set of circumstances, it's caveated as a general personal approach and in no way intended to infer any criticism of OP. 

If I can't, or don't want to do a job, I'm happy to pass on a recommend of someone that can (if I have one) in the expectation that karma will repay in the long run.  I also have an aversion to the concept of "finders fee" - might be different if I was desperate for work, but as a general rule - I hold the view that it smacks of opportunism and seeking revenue for no gainful work which is a scourge of modern society.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topchippyles said:

So if someone spends a few years building up a business then they should just give it away for free,That just the way it is.

my point was if you took to much on then let it go..  let someone else do the work who can cope with its demands..   

If I was someone employing a fella to look after my grounds and found he'd sold the job on, I'd sack the new guy before he could get anywhere near me just to piss the fella off..

after all, I took the first bloke on on account of trust and reputation, why would I trust him to find me a new guy when his main focus was screwing money out of the new fella and not looking after my interests..

another forum Landscape Juice Network is more focused on that work - may even be members in your area.

I bought some gear off a bloke in Southampton doing commercial a while back, don't know if he's still trading

http://www.nichelocal.co.uk/services/Southampton/Garden-Machinery/B-H-Gardeners.html

https://www.bhgardeners.co.uk/

Edited by tree-fancier123

I'd sell also, why not? I say that but I'd check with the customer that he was ok with me recommending another contractor doing the work, if everyone's happy I don't see a problem. I probably wouldn't say I was selling it mind. Finders fee, not a problem. I do some work for a Lithuanian crew that run the hand car washes. They've asked me if I know of someone who does this that or the other, four sites they have moved onto have needed Tarmacing/ concrete washbays and the like, my mate's done all four of them and given me a good drink off each one. The bit I don't understand is, after the first job he did for them why didn't they contact him direct.

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

I'd sell also, why not? I say that but I'd check with the customer that he was ok with me recommending another contractor doing the work, if everyone's happy I don't see a problem. I probably wouldn't say I was selling it mind. Finders fee, not a problem. I do some work for a Lithuanian crew that run the hand car washes. They've asked me if I know of someone who does this that or the other, four sites they have moved onto have needed Tarmacing/ concrete washbays and the like, my mate's done all four of them and given me a good drink off each one. The bit I don't understand is, after the first job he did for them why didn't they contact him direct.

They might imagine that if they go through you, the lads doin the work will be doin it for you as much as them and not fk em about..

All of the ethics/details aside trying to find a 'value' of something will be based on its returns. How much genuine profit is there in that £38k per year and how many years left on the contract are there? First times the second gives you a figure. I'd put your 'value' around 40-60% of that. Possible extensions to the contract may add some value but actual years on the contract is where it is at.