Best Hand Ascender?

5 hours ago, Ashley-Middleton said:

I have looked at this but how bulky is it for being hung on your harness and for pushing through crotches on ascents. 

No more bulky than any other double hand ascender.Its pretty light and V

shaped for better hand grip ergonomics.

I dont find it bulky at all mate tbh

23 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

No more bulky than any other double hand ascender.Its pretty light and V

shaped for better hand grip ergonomics.

I dont find it bulky at all mate tbh

What I was trying to say is if you've natural crotch redirected and you're going back up through that crotch, is it easy to slide the double one up the line where the rope touches the crotch. It was easy with the single but unsure on double. 

31 minutes ago, Ashley-Middleton said:

What I was trying to say is if you've natural crotch redirected and you're going back up through that crotch, is it easy to slide the double one up the line where the rope touches the crotch. It was easy with the single but unsure on double. 

Unsure of that one to be honest mate so i couldnt say one way or another.

Edited by stihlmadasever

1 hour ago, Ashley-Middleton said:

if you've natural crotch redirected and you're going back up through that crotch

this to me is one of the hardest things climbing back up through, but with SRT  and a retrievable re-direct placed above the crotch you're dropping through, some climbers seem to put the tail of the rope over and descend through the crotch on a loop, Dan Curtis had a good method (from back in 2014, bound to be several others around by now)

https://www.facebook.com/dan.curtis.50309/videos/238027773045433/

39 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

this to me is one of the hardest things climbing back up through, but with SRT  and a retrievable re-direct placed above the crotch you're dropping through, some climbers seem to put the tail of the rope over and descend through the crotch on a loop, Dan Curtis had a good method (from back in 2014, bound to be several others around by now)

https://www.facebook.com/dan.curtis.50309/videos/238027773045433/

https://youtu.be/TaSIJv5vzTo

8 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

thanks - someone in the comments notes that it does need the climber to rely on the ascender for life support, I have done this once with a Petzl basic and it works fine, but they do have a point, manufacturers are always covering themselves saying ascenders should be backed up. 

10 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

thanks - someone in the comments notes that it does need the climber to rely on the ascender for life support, I have done this once with a Petzl basic and it works fine, but they do have a point, manufacturers are always covering themselves saying ascenders should be backed up. 

Yeah your right.Big difference between manufacturers recommendations and real life scenarios though...

Best not say anymore or the ppe police might show up...

You aint seen me ......right!

12 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

im not sure whether your meant to hang solely  off  an asscender , he could of just put his lanyard around the branch instead , plus hanging off your lanyard like that is really uncomfortable,

another  solution would be a sling and crab redirect at the fork rather than through it, so you come up along side the limb, lanyard in slacked your main line and unclip the redirect without having to detach your main climbing system.

i liked the look of dan curtis redirect system, although it did look a bit of a faf to retrieve.