Working day start times

Jack.P

I suppose it depends on whether its forestry , clearance work or domestic arb, this time of year you need to be in the woods or on site at first light. For domestics I dont suppose Mrs Miggins would be best chuffed with a team firing up saws in her drive at 7am.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Haha 1

I have always been self employed in landscaping and we generally started on site between 7:30 and 8, so between 6:45 and 7:55 at the yard depending on the job and site!

For the last 9 years I have been subbying odd days here and there to an acoustic/generator engineer who works all over the country and often has to work outside office hours(due to noise or the need to shut down live systems). A standard start used to be meet at his workshop or a handy service station (both about 30 miles from me)between 6 and 6:30. As the traffic has got worse and worse we will meet between 4:30 and 5 if we are going into London. We often meet 150 or more miles away and if its a 7am meeting then I set my alarm accordingly! 

Its been really good for me to work like this as its shown me that there are 24 hours in the day and you can use whichever slice of it you want!

• Like 5

Well had to tell the guy in reality ain't gonna happen in the morning it was only loose arrangement anyway .Have worked on the arrangement before as groundie where I meet  with work gang directly at job site 8.20 ready for the day with own saws and everything ready .that was ok and we got the jobs done .about 4 years ago I did 3 months of night work (10 hr shift ) decorating I will never do that again .

• Sad 1

I don't see what the problem is, to be honest. You called off a job because you don't like getting up early? Do you get itchy feet at one minute past usual finishing time, too?

In my previous life 6am starts were normal, and working around the clock wasn't anything special. I have no way of counting the number of times I've left home in the dark and arrived home in the dark, summers included. The job dictates the hours, and if you can't hack it, then sod off and give the job to someone who can.

Edited by peds
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, peds said:

I don't see what the problem is, to be honest. You called off a job because you don't like getting up early? Do you get itchy feet at one minute past usual finishing time, too?

In my previous life 6am starts were normal, and working around the clock wasn't anything special. I have no way of counting the number of times I've left home in the dark and arrived home in the dark, summers included. The job dictates the hours, and if you can't hack it, then sod off and give the job to someone who can.

You'd start at that time for £10/hour after a 25 mile drive (depending where you are going that would take best part of an hour around here), in your own vehicle, crack on!

• Like 1