Big Oak stick

Wolfie

20 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

Unfortunately true. My old boss bought one standing once to mill as it was a very impressive tree, massive trunk, etc. When his old Devonshire cutter turned up with a Fordson Major to winch it over, and told him it was a f%&*ing Turkey, he did some rapid negotiating to the extent we were paid (not much though) to take it away. Horrible timber, masses of sapwood, rough grain thats hard to cross cut, a night mare to split and not even much good for sleepers as not very durable. Blame the Yanks, I believe thats where it came from originally.

no, blame the people who reintroduced it from parts of europe in the late 18th century as an ornamental tree.

timber is moderately durable to durable (not the sap) and if cut properly in 1" boards usually quartersawn then it is a very decorative timber as the species has fairly large rays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

timber is moderately durable to durable (not the sap) and if cut properly in 1" boards usually quartersawn then it is a very decorative timber as the species has fairly large rays.

I have not got personal experience of Turkey Oak though I have been offered them.  I have read on several websites that Turkey Oak is also known as Wainscot Oak as it has such dramatic medullary rays that it is highly prized when quarter-sawn.  The best known example of what I am talking about is the house of commons - the Oak panelling on the walls.  Can anyone enlighten me as to which Oak this is?  I am pretty certain it is not native but which one is it?

I love Holm Oak and this certainly has very strong rays, but of course rarely has a decent size stem.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Turkey Oak is also known as Wainscot Oak

Yes that is what I remember, I suspect it is partly because it has to be quarter sawn as the tangential to radial shrinkage is so great that boards cut any other way will move.

There's very little heart wood to it, it often shakes and  takes ages to dry (as said above).

It made brilliant raw material for pulpwood as a cut and come again coppice crop every 30 years as it is so heavy and straight but not liked as firewood as it rots before it dries.

• Like 1

Funny all these negative comments I am sure I have read posts on hear with people saying it’s ok for furniture and has cool grain pattern I am sure I have seen some photos of some stunning looking boards of turkey oak , be cool to slab a few boards to see what it’s like then carve the rest into a bench .