Horizontal Cone Splitter for Cordwood???

Lampy

G'day All

I am chasing anyone thoughts on using a horizontal pto linkage splitter for reducing oversize cordwood to processor size.  Something similar to this with the yellow plate removed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Log-Splitter-Powered-Screw-Type-From-PTO-Fits-Tractor-Kat-1-Kat-2/122386508545?hash=item1c7ecdeb01:g:FVsAAOSw4Yxamsh9:rk:11:pf:0

I have a Jake mounted forestry crane on a Valtra 8100.  With the splitter mounted on the linkage could you reverse up to oversize cordwood, set height with linkage, adjust log with crane and split?  You wouldn't have the ability to reverse the cone though and maybe the tip would be susceptible to snapping.

Alternatively could I remove grab from forestry crane (patu 655) and mount cone to rotator. Therefore use crane in the same style as a digger with cone splitter.  This may be asking to much of the rotator?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

9 hours ago, Lampy said:

G'day All

I am chasing anyone thoughts on using a horizontal pto linkage splitter for reducing oversize cordwood to processor size.  Something similar to this with the yellow plate removed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Log-Splitter-Powered-Screw-Type-From-PTO-Fits-Tractor-Kat-1-Kat-2/122386508545?hash=item1c7ecdeb01:g:FVsAAOSw4Yxamsh9:rk:11:pf:0

I have a Jake mounted forestry crane on a Valtra 8100.  With the splitter mounted on the linkage could you reverse up to oversize cordwood, set height with linkage, adjust log with crane and split?  You wouldn't have the ability to reverse the cone though and maybe the tip would be susceptible to snapping.

Alternatively could I remove grab from forestry crane (patu 655) and mount cone to rotator. Therefore use crane in the same style as a digger with cone splitter.  This may be asking to much of the rotator?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I actually have one, its a hycrack. I run it off a 32hp kubota. Its years old, but it still does the job.

I would invest in a hycrack if i were you, these cheap chinese imports are not much cop to be honest

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  Have you had any experience splitting oversize cordwood rather than just rings. They look brutally efficient on rings but there seems very little info on people using them on cordwood.  It feels to me it would work.  All operations from tractor so none of the risks to hands and fingers.  If I go ahead I will look hard at hycrack.

Thanks

I wouldn't use them for wood of any length. Even on short logs I had trouble with it opening up at one end but having the fibres hold together at the other so had a billhook handy to cut through them. Guess it all depends on the wood you get. If it's nice straight sycamore you would probably be fine but some twisty beech you can forget it. I gave up on mine for logs not just because of the aforementioned problem but they can be bloody dangerous. Yes I know lots of things can be but these somehow suck you into taking risks.

9 hours ago, Lampy said:

Thanks for that.  Have you had any experience splitting oversize cordwood rather than just rings. They look brutally efficient on rings but there seems very little info on people using them on cordwood.  It feels to me it would work.  All operations from tractor so none of the risks to hands and fingers.  If I go ahead I will look hard at hycrack.

Thanks

Up to about 4ft long, it should be ok, but depends on the wood as woodworks has mentioed. Hycrack do two versions, get the larger one if you have the hp available.