Any Jo Beau M500 users out there?

brynarw

I’m interested in buying a Jo Beau 500 wee chipper.  Previously had a CS100 which I was happy with until it was stolen. Got a M500 on hire at moment, but it is a 2005 machine and not performing as I expected it to.  Very unimpressed with chipping performance, finding the chute frequently blocking, and a feeble chip throw meaning no good chipping into a vehicle. Performance of this old hire machine is definitely not as good as my old CS100 which happily chipped from trailer over tailboard to front of my 9’ long chip box.  I mostly left chip on site, but from time to time I could use the cs100 as a wee road tow chipper.

Do any of you use a M500 chipper to chip into a truck? I know there are options available to extend length of chute which should increase throw. Anyone who can share their experience of using this chipper, how it performs, how you have used it when removing chip?

Many thanks

I have one, mine is on its second engine but some of it may be just as old as your hire one.

It throws chip well, leaves less so. I have a 12 foot trailer and if I park it at the back the chip will easily reach the front, although some leaves will fall down in the gap so I usually tarp.

It doesn't block often although you can block it, big lumps of Leylandii will do it if you let go the whole thing in one but just need to hold back part of it for a second or two. I sort of watch and judge how it gets on to gauge whether to slow it, most bits can just be thrown in. I do have quick release clamps on the chute though which is apparently a JB option, so blockage isn't a major trauma (no spanner, v quick to pop off and poke out).

If it's a hire machine you've got though, question would be is it sharp and is the anvil gap correct? I'm assuming though that you are familiar with effect of sharpness from your CS100.

Coletti beat me to it. I thought about it because I hired a Timberwolf 13/75 once where the anvil gap was about 8mm, terrible on anything small as it all just got dragged through instead of cut and then of course that would clog it up.

I also just wonder if there's something on the engine like air filter blocked, throttle cable set wrong, governor spring or whatever meaning you are not getting full rpm? That definitely will cause poor chipping, blocking, etc.

• 2 years later...
On 22/10/2018 at 15:00, Dan Maynard said:

I have one, mine is on its second engine but some of it may be just as old as your hire one.

It throws chip well, leaves less so. I have a 12 foot trailer and if I park it at the back the chip will easily reach the front, although some leaves will fall down in the gap so I usually tarp.

It doesn't block often although you can block it, big lumps of Leylandii will do it if you let go the whole thing in one but just need to hold back part of it for a second or two. I sort of watch and judge how it gets on to gauge whether to slow it, most bits can just be thrown in. I do have quick release clamps on the chute though which is apparently a JB option, so blockage isn't a major trauma (no spanner, v quick to pop off and poke out).

If it's a hire machine you've got though, question would be is it sharp and is the anvil gap correct? I'm assuming though that you are familiar with effect of sharpness from your CS100.

Could you tell me what size trailer is required to transport the self propelled M500 ? Thanks

Thanks - thinking it may hang over rear tailboard a touch on existing trailer.

Or buy new -  handy to know which Ifor Williams is perfect that can be also be used for 1.5t mini digger and tracked 1.2t dumper -

Probably a GX 105 - or GP 105 - Anyone know?

Also is it possible to chip with M500 still in the trailer?

Edited by arboriculturist

Could you tell me what size trailer is required to transport the self propelled M500 ? Thanks
I don't know if you prefer metric or imperial, but if you had a 6 foot long trailer the tailboard could be about 24" high under the chute.

Overall the machine is about 7 foot long.

Whatever you use needs good ramps which can't slip, it weighs about 300kg.

Relatively narrow to fit through any standard garden gate, so width will not be an issue on a trailer.