Stihl HS81 hedge trimmer problem

Con

Any ideas?

Starts ok. Will idle ok. Pull the trigger and it runs for approx 20 secs and dies suddenly.  Start her up again and does the same.

Thought it might have been the breather. Blown and cleaned out. Same with fuel filter in tank and air filter cleaned. 

Problem started after a refuel, when I let it run out. (Try not to do that usually).

Haven't looked at carb yet. Is that the next step? Thanks

3 hours ago, Con said:

Any ideas?

Starts ok. Will idle ok. Pull the trigger and it runs for approx 20 secs and dies suddenly.  Start her up again and does the same.

Thought it might have been the breather. Blown and cleaned out. Same with fuel filter in tank and air filter cleaned. 

Problem started after a refuel, when I let it run out. (Try not to do that usually).

Try a carb kit, sorted mine, similar problem ? good luck

4 hours ago, Con said:

Any ideas?

my dolmar blower did this and I mentioned it here  and the advice was it was coil related, as I had stripped the fuel system and carb. I put it away and forgot about it as coil was too expensive.

When I finally got it out to fix it I first put a new plug in, it has rin perfectly since. I keep the dodgy spark plug for when someone annoys me...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

my dolmar blower did this and I mentioned it here  and the advice was it was coil related, as I had stripped the fuel system and carb. I put it away and forgot about it as coil was too expensive.

When I finally got it out to fix it I first put a new plug in, it has rin perfectly since. I keep the dodgy spark plug for when someone annoys me...

Ha ha. Like that. Forgot to mention tho, I changed spark plug and was exactly the same!  Will look into coil tho. Carb kit first as it's cheaper?

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

sounds like issues in the metering section of the carb - main diaphragm, spring, needle or metering arm. The gauze strainer in the pump section is also worth checking.

Thanks. I've had the needle sticking in the past and it caused similar issues. Think it may just be tired. It's an '08 and done it's fair share. Just can't put my hands on 500 quid at the min so trying to keep it going for a couple of months

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought going back years - mum ran out of petrol in the car  (once and only once...) - last few drops of petrol sucked up all the gunk in the tank with it needing new filters and things. So when you said it warn out of fuel for the first time my thoughts go back to that. Ignition system doesn't make sense, so look to the fuel system. Gunk sucked into the carb needing a clean / carb kit makes sense (OK I Know there won't be much gunk in the tank but thats how my thinkng works).