Apple tree - How to cut for turning.

Apple_Tree

I’m hoping it’s OK to ask here as this is a continuation from a post I made in the Homeowners section about a dead Apple tree.

If it’s any good, we’d like to save some of the wood for turning as it would seem a big waste just to burn it all.  In the past, we’ve also had an ex-woodturner tell us the trunk would be good for bowls?  The tree surgeons have told us they would cut the tree down leaving behind whatever wood we wanted.  One of them said they would leave the trunk whole but this would obviously leave us with a piece of wood too heavy to move and too wide to roll anywhere.

So my questions are, how would you recommend cutting the tree to maximise the wood for turning?  Would we best getting the thickest parts/trunk cut into say 20 to 30 cm lengths or try to keep it as long as possible but still liftable?  The smaller branches (anything sub 15cm diameter?) will just go to friend’s with wood burners  We could probably store some of this wood until we can offload it so would it be recommended to paint the ends with PVA in an attempt to stop it splitting?  If we were to hold onto it for a while, should we be looking at cutting the logs through the pith?  (I say pith based entirely on what I’ve just watched in youtube videos … ).

Thanks.

1 - AppleTree.jpg

2 - AppleTree-Trunk.jpg

In my experience unless you turn it whilst green most fruit woods split very badly when drying. I think the crotch pieces are the best bet and would make nice grain patterns on hollow forms or bowls. There is loads on Google on the best way to cut for various end usages.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Beardie said:

Is the bowl turning something you intend doing yourself, or are you passing the wood on to someone else?

Unfortunately, I'm not a woodturner and it was a woodturning Uncle of mine that first suggested the wood could be used for such a purpose.  He has since given up turning. 

I'll be honest and say if we could make a few pounds from some of this wood it would be nice as it would go towards buying a replacement tree next year.  Having said that, if we can't shift it, we'd probably be happy to just give it to a turner.  Really don't want to see all of this end up in a wood burner if it could be used for something useful and/or decorative.