Homeowner Slightly Larger Saw - Stihl 260 or ???

aesmith

3 hours ago, difflock said:

As a renowned sports car designer, Colin Chapman, was reputed to say "for performance, add lightness".

Somewhat pedantically I looked at the simple  power to weight ratio.

The 026 scored high on this criteria.

mth

I thought it was " simplicate and add lightness "

7 hours ago, difflock said:

As a renowned sports car designer, Colin Chapman, was reputed to say "for performance, add lightness".

Somewhat pedantically I looked at the simple  power to weight ratio.

The 026 scored high on this criteria.

mth

He found you could only take so much away before it affected the reliability of his cars and the drivers got pissy though.

Also reputed to state that he would not drive a (presumably racing) car he had designed!

And that the perfectly designed and engineered racing car should collapse in a pile of bits once it had crossed the winning line, after having won of course.

Otherwise was simply proof that it was overengineered and therefore too heavy.

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Also reputed to state that he would not drive a (presumably racing) car he had designed!

And that the perfectly designed and engineered racing car should collapse in a pile of bits once it had crossed the winning line, after having won of course.

Otherwise was simply proof that it was overengineered and therefore too heavy.

Or do what yanks prefer. Keep adding power until it’s forced to go fast (but not around bends) !

Thanks everyone.  So Stihl == Lotus?  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Anyway I'm still swithering, really wondering if I should consider going down in size/power (for example 026) or look at something larger.  So my short list is getting longer. 

I'm going to be away for a few days so can't do anything right now, meanwhile I'll keep an eye on Gumtree for anything local.  If I was going significantly larger (say Husky 365) I'd want to handle it first.

11 minutes ago, aesmith said:

Thanks everyone.  So Stihl == Lotus?  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Anyway I'm still swithering, really wondering if I should consider going down in size/power (for example 026) or look at something larger.  So my short list is getting longer. 

I'm going to be away for a few days so can't do anything right now, meanwhile I'll keep an eye on Gumtree for anything local.  If I was going significantly larger (say Husky 365) I'd want to handle it first.

If you where in a forest felling pine all day you’d want a 260, I climb with mine. They are tough. If I was felling larger specific stuff for production I’d use a 365 or my 462. Horses for courses. Stihl or husky are great bits of kit. I’m more than happy to buy both. The Makita I’ve used are good. And jonsered. I’ve got echo saws also. The little 2511 is great.

To start afresh;

Why do you need or want an 18" bar?

What will you be cutting?

Anyway I choose Stihl, because;

(i) there was a good local dealer

(ii)only 2 Stihl ranges to pick from, unlike the be-dazzling bewildering array of Husky models.

Also ah canny spell Huskyvarna.

mth

BUT

Avoid the B&Q specials, stick with the reputable brands.

• Like 1

If you where in a forest felling pine all day you’d want a 260, I climb with mine. They are tough. If I was felling larger specific stuff for production I’d use a 365 or my 462. Horses for courses. Stihl or husky are great bits of kit. I’m more than happy to buy both. The Makita I’ve used are good. And jonsered. I’ve got echo saws also. The little 2511 is great.

Chuffing hell Gaz, theres five different brands there.... his heads gona be spinning [emoji39]