Battery powered hedgetrimmers any good?

arbaholic

No problems here with The Stihl hedgecutters ...3 years on and no issues with saws, strimmers  and hedge trimmers BUT the long reach hedge trimmer which is possibly the first batch they produce is a pig at times , the clamp is useless and breaks regularly and now it won't clamp tight at all ! 

But otherwise was  perfect for tall conifers hedges etc 

Ste

• Like 1

I run HLA 65 and 85 as well as HSA  85 on AP 300's with a 500 charger, I also ran the MS A 601T until they recalled it.

I love them battery life has not been a problem because actual trigger time is far less than you think!

For some reason, not sure why the battery has come loose twice on the HLA85 over the last week so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

I'd recommend you get the battery blanking plates as well to keep muck and rubbish out of the battery slots.

Enjoy!

Edited by Pman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IVECOKID said:

No problems here with The Stihl hedgecutters ...3 years on and no issues with saws, strimmers  and hedge trimmers BUT the long reach hedge trimmer which is possibly the first batch they produce is a pig at times , the clamp is useless and breaks regularly and now it won't clamp tight at all ! 

But otherwise was  perfect for tall conifers hedges etc 

Ste

Good good glad you get on well with them. ill mention that to frjones tomorrow and see what they say. I saw a youtube video yesterday were somebody took the factory fitted shaft off and replaced it with the shaft from the older version of the petrol polesaw. He gutted it completely first and then fed a wire through and it worked fine plus had extra reach. Ill try and find it again and post a link.

Edited by arbaholic

30 minutes ago, Pman said:

I run HLA 65 and 85 as well as HSA  85 on AP 300's with a 500 charger, I also ran the MS A 601T until they recalled it.

I love them battery life has not been a problem because actual trigger time is far less than you think!

For some reason, not sure why the battery has come loose twice on the HLA85 over the last week so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

I'd recommend you get the battery blanking plates as well to keep muck and rubbish out of the battery slots.

Enjoy!

Glad your getting on well with them, i cant wait to get mine tomorrow. Theres a guy on youtube that made a video to point out a problem with the batterys coming loose. He said if it taps against anything it will come loose and fall out, as a quick fix you can put a bungee cord around it which will keep it in place. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, arbaholic said:

Glad your getting on well with them, i cant wait to get mine tomorrow. Theres a guy on youtube that made a video to point out a problem with the batterys coming loose. He said if it taps against anything it will come loose and fall out, as a quick fix you can put a bungee cord around it which will keep it in place. 

I've never had a battery cone loose once. I may have been lucky or just not rough enough to force one out.

Battery blanks are a good idea but I find them a pita to get out if you push them in too far. Good idea but just not that user frei dly god me. 

I bought some kombi engine covers for my battery end when on site. Not a perfect fit but the zip goes up far enough to stay on and cover the battery from rain. 

Jim

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chopper brown said:

I've never had a battery cone loose once. I may have been lucky or just not rough enough to force one out.

Battery blanks are a good idea but I find them a pita to get out if you push them in too far. Good idea but just not that user frei dly god me. 

I bought some kombi engine covers for my battery end when on site. Not a perfect fit but the zip goes up far enough to stay on and cover the battery from rain. 

Jim

Maybe its a quality issue with certain baches, i think for the cost of the battery and the associated issues with one coming out ill put a bungee cord on to be sure. Me and bungee cords are good friends anyways ?

I hadnt put much thought into covering the batterys, will keep that in mind.

I have been using a Stihl hsa 86 with the ap300 battery a lot this year for all sorts of hedge jobs  .It will run for 3.5 -4 hrs on full charge no problem and it will cut through most stuff .they can't be used in the wet though and after first 50hrs work they seem a little less powerful even with blades sharpened .I use to use my hs82rc a lot more but it is very heavy compared this one but i think I will be using it more .Stihl hs45 ok for but not great with anti vibration .long reach hl95 good always handy .Having now used the cordless Stihl I think they won't last as long as the petrol versions and not worth buying for commercial work 

• 2 weeks later...

Given that we all wave a long reach about some of the time with 2 stroke emissions blasting in the face, I'll be opting for battery powered next time - lets face it, can't do you any good really and I recall a few posts on here from blokes saying that unless they are on Aspen, you can feel a bit nauseous by the end of a long day's hedge cutting. Its the way forward