Beginners Chainsaw Course

Darrin Turnbull

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:45, Darrin Turnbull said:

Been working for a landscape company , two of their workers have just completed a chainsaw course . I think upto 30 cm 12 ins diameter felling.

They were telling me about leaving a hold at the back and were told to use it as much as possible 

The reason was , they decide when it should fall not the tree.

what do you guys think ?  

I would like to know who the training instructor was.  If it was anyone working with us, a quiet word in their shell-like might be needed.

• Like 2

I use a holding cut more than I probably need to, winched over about 20 large sycamore from a hedge today and bore cutted most of them, mostly to build up some tension on the winch so they wouldn't get tangled up as they were all pretty close together.

But I agree about the increased kickback risk.

I think instructors should stick to teaching people the cuts and their application and leave off any personal habits/preferences... half the job is applying the correct type of cut to various situations and there is no one-fits-all answer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2018 at 17:45, Darrin Turnbull said:

Been working for a landscape company , two of their workers have just completed a chainsaw course . I think upto 30 cm 12 ins diameter felling.

They were telling me about leaving a hold at the back and were told to use it as much as possible 

The reason was , they decide when it should fall not the tree.

what do you guys think ? 

Seems to be the trend here in Germany.

it’s called in German , 

The safety felling technique. You decide when the tree falls.

I think, at least some extent, the title of this thread is misleading, i.e. use of the word 'Beginners.' Whilst I acknowledge this is where the tree felling qualifications start the assessment process is quite expansive, having just observed my son going through it, and had he not had at least some tree felling experience so he understood the basics, he would have struggled more through the assessment. He did the associated training course and was able to focus on the less commonly used, but sometimes very useful, felling cuts with which he was less familiar.

Certainly an 'eye-opener' for me and very, very different to my old CS10, 11, 12 units...not that I do any real work these days of course :D

On 18/10/2018 at 17:12, The avantgardener said:

It could just be that they have not explained what they mean properly.

In the felling up to 380mm they train a dogs tooth cut for heavy forward weighted trees, where the back hold is severed last, or a danish cut which can be used for a tree that is not excessively leaning forward/back/side, where a hold is left at the back and severed last, with or without the use of s felling lever.

That's exactly what they taught on the chainsaw course I did 6 years ago. I think that's generally standard practice on courses now