Re-humidify oak crates of 11% humidity dry wood?

Sophia81

Hi !

I have set up a business selling kilndried oak wood that comes in 1m3 crates. We are very happy with the looks and content until a client said the logs burns too quickly...I have measured the moisture content which is between 10-13%, too low for the perfect burn range. They are stored on an open but rain tight barn...

Can please someone give me a suggestion on how to re-moisture these crates in best and easiest way. I can't starting mixing the crates with seasoned logs as this is too much of a mission.

Can I spray the crates with water? But the under layers won't get re-moistured...also would this risk to mould the wood?

Or will the logs automatically pick up the air-moisture now once the autumn arrives?

Please do help me as I don't want to loose any more clients and this business means a lot to me!

All the best,

Sophia

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sophia81 said:

Please do help me as I don't want to loose any more clients and this business means a lot to me!

Hi Sophia,

Welcome to the forum.  You said you have set up a business, sounds like its a recent one?  I'll tell you now that firewood customers are notorious for complaining, no matter what you do.  I wouldn't let one complaint overly bother you.

• Like 5

Thanks for your reply, my stress level just dropped a bit ;)

I was so happy thought that I had "the best quality logs" to offer then I got this feedback from a client (a pub, so they obviously have experience with the logs they buy...) saying they burn too quickly!? Maybe they prefer wetter wood that burns longer but doesn't kick out that much heat?

Also, the "experts" claim moisture should be between 15%-20%, so this is why I went to the conclusion my logs are too dry and need re moisture!?

more feed back is very welcome! Thanks

6 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Hi Sophia,

Welcome to the forum.  You said you have set up a business, sounds like its a recent one?  I'll tell you now that firewood customers are notorious for complaining, no matter what you do.  I wouldn't let one complaint overly bother you.

Thanks, Steve, good to know about the customers ;). Yes, I just set up the business...and with this mild weather sales are not great. I don't know if that is a general trend...But Hopefully people will start order soon and will be pleased with or "dry " oak logs.

Cheers

Edited by Sophia81

There's no such thing as a log that's too dry. I'd snap them up at 10% ish! (Though I only use air dried logs myself).

If you leave them in an open sided barn they will pick up a bit more moisture from the air (in time) as they equilibrate.

As said, please don't re-wet them, that's an offence against firewood, and the energy that was spent to kiln dry them in the first place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richardwale said:

10% oak logs, perfection in my opinion. Please please don't spray with water, I beg you!

Thanks for your reply, my stress level just dropped a bit 

I was so happy thought that I had "the best quality logs" to offer then I got this feedback from a client (a pub, so they obviously have experience with the logs they buy...) saying they burn too quickly!? Maybe they prefer wetter wood that burns longer but doesn't kick out that much heat?

Also, the "experts" claim moisture should be between 15%-20%, so this is why I went to the conclusion my logs are too dry and need re moisture!?

Your customer is an idiot. No such thing as too dry.

You’re better off without customers that complain dry logs are too dry. If it’s an open fire they should be buying seasoned logs anyway.

That being said, they’ll be back up to 18% or thereabouts in no time this winter anyway.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sophia81 said:

Thanks for your reply, my stress level just dropped a bit 

They are a business...I expect their log fires are there for the ambience rather than practicality...of course they want the logs to last as long as possible :)