Re-humidify oak crates of 11% humidity dry wood?

Sophia81

Just to echo what everyone has said - you're logs are not too dry.

(a pub, so they obviously have experience with the logs they buy...) saying they burn too quickly!? Maybe they prefer wetter wood that burns longer but doesn't kick out that much heat?

This comment is typical of people who want logs to 'last' a long time and are not really interested in the heat output - ie: they haven't the time or can't be bothered to re-fuel a fire or stove. We have a neighbour who burns fresh, green, sopping wet oak with coal "because dry oak burns too quickly" :cursing::cursing:

They had a cracking chimney fire a few years ago...!

A decent stove fed with your dry logs will throw out plenty of heat and, if operated correctly, will still burn for long periods without re-fuelling. Just ignore the minority of moaners and deal with the majority of customers who will appreciate burning properly dry wood - Good Luck :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have always considered the 20% value as a reduction "target" for those who are looking to season wood moisture levels down from a higher moisture content; i.e. once it gets to 20% or below it's a good humidity level to burn cleanly. However if the wood is below 20% it won't be a problem from a clean burning perspective, if the customer is burning the logs in a stove I'd recommend to them that they should familiarise themselves with the air controls on the appliance to slow the overall burn rate down.

I have several cubic metres of beech that I have been seasoning through the year including the hot summer; I split some of this yesterday and the moisture meter read 13%. I find that this burns very well in the stove with the burn rate controlled by the airflow.

If I needed any wood and was in your locality I'd be on the phone ordering some of that oak ?

Edited by DocMustard

Your logs are fine,  research by a major UK stove manufacturer has revealed that the optimum moisure level for minimal particulate emissions is 11% - 13%.

My own imported kiln dried product is quite a bit drier than that, customers love it, never had a complaint.

A

According to Woodsure between 10-20% is perfect but looking at their graph particulate emissions start going up again from 14% down but only by a relatively small amount. Your logs sound great but dont expect them to stay quite that dry in the great British winter with the high outside RH most of get.

IMG_20181020_185416.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

3 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Your logs are fine,  research by a major UK stove manufacturer has revealed that the optimum moisure level for minimal particulate emissions is 11% - 13%.

My own imported kiln dried product is quite a bit drier than that, customers love it, never had a complaint.

A

I wish there was a shaking head emoji. Talking about imported kiln dried firewood being drier than other imported kiln dried firewood. 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2018 at 21:45, richardwale said:

I wish there was a shaking head emoji. Talking about imported kiln dried firewood being drier than other imported kiln dried firewood. 

That is a fact,  friend here has some from a different supplier to mine and had to put it into his kiln to finish the drying,   dont need to do that with my guy but cost is higher,

A

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:46, SbTVF said:

Your customer is an idiot. No such thing as too dry.

You’re better off without customers that complain dry logs are too dry. If it’s an open fire they should be buying seasoned logs anyway.

That being said, they’ll be back up to 18% or thereabouts in no time this winter anyway.

Get your customer to check the sealing on his stove - prolly leaks like a sieve and that's why they burn too quick