Kiln dried load

Dorset Logger

Logs that was a growing tree this time last year, felled in Dec 2017 an split last March are 17% up in the hills of east lancs, why would any one kiln dry when nature does the job in a reasonable time anyway. Some old wet pine felled 3 years ago and left to rot under evergreen trees recently split and it reads 25% on the inside.
Because I don't have the space to store thousands of cubic metres of firewood for a year.
Some people on here are dead against kiln drying and that's fine but I import and kiln dry and it works for me. I've been doing firewood for 7 years and not once has a customer ever said to me they don't want to buy kiln dried because of the environmental impact.

You can harp on about the environmental impact but when in South Wales this year I've been able to get about 50 tons of hardwood when I need 1500+ tons where am I suppose to get it from? We are on a very small island that nobody has been planting hardwood forests on for the last 60 years. If everyone stopped importing (not just firewood all timber products) and using UK stock only it wouldn't last very long. Then what do we all do? So instead of importing Do I just stop selling it and fold the business? For whoever is so dead set against importing do you not buy other products because they were imported? I would like to know on a daily average how many products you buy/use were imported or grown//built/made in the UK.

It's not really the importing of the logs it's how they are dried is the point. 

The amount of wasted unseasoned logs burnt to dry logs? Insane,  such a shame and that's the impact on the environment.  

Double pollution and double the amount of trees felled 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, otter said:

It's not really the importing of the logs it's how they are dried is the point. 

The amount of wasted unseasoned logs burnt to dry logs? Insane,  such a shame and that's the impact on the environment.  

Double pollution and double the amount of trees felled 

It's been debated plenty of times on here but a good drying system will use less than 10% of your stock to dry the remainder. In return you can dry in a much smaller area, quicker, all year round and to a lower moisture content in any climate.

There's pros and cons to either method of drying, the main thing is it ends up dry.

• Like 1

It's been debated plenty of times on here but a good drying system will use less than 10% of your stock to dry the remainder. In return you can dry in a much smaller area, quicker, all year round and to a lower moisture content in any climate.

There's pros and cons to either method of drying, the main thing is it ends up dry.

You can burn alot of the "waste" as such as well. It's not actually waste but just the rubbish bits. we generate mountains of bits when doing kindling for example. We keep one of our boilers running all day on odds and sods that get produced from processing and doing kindling.