Durable fencing timbers? Do they exist anymore..

Matthew Storrs

4 hours ago, Ally Baxter said:

I used to build stock and deer fences in the Highlands of Scotland in the early nineties using larch 3x3 posts and larch strainers and they were still good 17 years later last time I saw them. 

Was that untreated Larch? Ithibk of all the choices I’m swaying towards Larch- it’s natural, looks nice enough and durable, plus won’t split open like Chestnut does when knocking in.

The spanner in the works will be there’s barely any Larch left!

failing that might offer the heat shrunk bitumen sleeve. I always imagined they may do more harm than good keeping the moisture against the post and not letting the post breathe but that’s just a theory.

5 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

i vote for robinia/black locust as it's the dogs doodahs when it comes to durability.

a species of cypress heartwood is as good as any hardwood too.

one other option is to use recycled opepe which is plentiful on ebay. lasts 25 years plus.

All well and good but not sure where I’d find the kind of quantities I’m after of Robinia. Although it does sound perfect, 

but never heard of it being used as fencing stakes round here- barely see a Robinia unless it’s in someone’s garden...

5 hours ago, Ally Baxter said:

I used to build stock and deer fences in the Highlands of Scotland in the early nineties using larch 3x3 posts and larch strainers and they were still good 17 years later last time I saw them. 

Don’t forget there are at least three species of Larch grown in the UK.  The best of these is European Larch but even this as an untreated post will struggle to last 10 years.  The others may last four to five years. 

Don’t put your faith in Larch as fenceposts.  Outdoor structures off the ground yes but not posts.

There’s a company importing proper creosoted posts from Sweden, I saw them at the highland show a couple of years ago , can’t remember the name. It’s the real deal, it was Health and safety that shut down all our creosote plants but this Swedish one is state of the art apparently and uses the proper old school stuff. Boiled and pressure treated.  Those old posts can last 50 years +

Quartered split chestnut has less sapwood and 10" top strainers are great.
It's all about the seasoning with sweet chestnut.
It's got to be fully air dried or it will start to rot as soon as it hits the mud.
Fully seasoned strainers last decades and 4" quarters are good for 20+ years before they rot at ground level.
Even in heavy clay soil.
[emoji106]

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Tom D said:

There’s a company importing proper creosoted posts from Sweden, I saw them at the highland show a couple of years ago , can’t remember the name. It’s the real deal, it was Health and safety that shut down all our creosote plants but this Swedish one is state of the art apparently and uses the proper old school stuff. Boiled and pressure treated.  Those old posts can last 50 years +

Would that be Octopost? https://www.octopost.co.uk/