Singing Tree Quickie

Tommy_B

Mainly gets used for a top anchor.

Just set it so the back of the pin is against the trunk.  I fail to see how it could come open.  

I also make sure I set it with the pin in my climbing end, not in the alpine.  That way it just spins when you retrieve it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

@mikedrums69

At least your honest about taking an age to pass 30-40 metres of rope through a ring.  

I get setting it from the floor but how would you do that if you were already aloft and wanted to change base tie to a top anchor?

When did I say I stand there feeding 30-40metre through a ring up the tree? If I need to advance my tie in. I’ll tie a running bowline from the ground and either clip in a small retrieval line or use the tail. Depending on the size of the tree. 

Edited by mikedrums69

@mikedrums69

Just wondering how you would use the ring.

As the conversation was about using a quickie for top anchors.  If a ring had been used in that way for a top anchor which is retrievable you would have to pass the climbing end of the line through the ring.  25m tree and maybe another 15 metre if it is a wide crown and you might use a couple of redirects.

I wasn’t referring to advancing you anchor.  In the scenario of getting top anchor with a throw line but deciding to change to a canopy anchor.  I pull a bit of slack though, enough to tie a alpine butterfly and the use the quickie and it’s done.

How would ring be used in that scenario?

5 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

@mikedrums69

Just wondering how you would use the ring.

As the conversation was about using a quickie for top anchors.  If a ring had been used in that way for a top anchor which is retrievable you would have to pass the climbing end of the line through the ring.  25m tree and maybe another 15 metre if it is a wide crown and you might use a couple of redirects.

I wasn’t referring to advancing you anchor.  In the scenario of getting top anchor with a throw line but deciding to change to a canopy anchor.  I pull a bit of slack though, enough to tie a alpine butterfly and the use the quickie and it’s one.

How would ring be use in that scenario?

In that scenario then I suppose the quickie would be better than a ring. But there is the pinto tie in. 
Personally though I choose not to base tie and rarely do so. So I’ve never came across the situation I needed to swap

• Confused 1