Singing Tree Quickie

Tommy_B

5 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I read the subject..... have no idea on it...... so take a step back, read a little more, listen to comments of others (not yours) and try to grasp the concept of whats being asked or spoke about. From it comes criticism or resolve. For me i class it as a learning curve for myself. Obviously i cant comment on a lot of the stuff cos i have no clue, but i’m intrigued all the same, and willing to learn at the same time.
HOWEVER..... you really dont help yourself, an answer on every eventuality, occasionally you have some really rational and genuine input, but other times (most of the time) you really do blow it out the park........... give it up!

well I look at new stuff and for the most part am amazed at what someone else came up with..

this little gizmo is an alternative to a carabiner..  or a small shackle if you want to..  its not rocket science to work out what it is, what it might be useful for..  as a carabiner less worry of side load, as a shackle, no screwing of any bolts..  

good, we now know its advantages over both bits of alternative equipment..   now comes the cost..

is it cost effective as an alternative to both..  

If your like me, costs comes after quality..  so if I could buy a handful of these things I would..

Thats not to say its gonna be for everyone..  I have a zigzag, thats not to say other people can't get by with a Prussic hitch is it..

well I look at new stuff and for the most part am amazed at what someone else came up with..

this little gizmo is an alternative to a carabiner..  or a small shackle if you want to..  its not rocket science to work out what it is, what it might be useful for..  as a carabiner less worry of side load, as a shackle, no screwing of any bolts..  

good, we now know its advantages over both bits of alternative equipment..   now comes the cost..

is it cost effective as an alternative to both..  

If your like me, costs comes after quality..  so if I could buy a handful of these things I would..

Thats not to say its gonna be for everyone..  I have a zigzag, thats not to say other people can't get by with a Prussic hitch is it..

Off ya go again! I have a tow hitch..... 12mm thread, screws in to front of my van......... i’m being towed off........ cos ur boring me! Again!!!!

7 hours ago, Ratman said:

I read the subject..... have no idea on it...... so take a step back, read a little more, listen to comments of others (not yours) and try to grasp the concept of whats being asked or spoke about. From it comes criticism or resolve. For me i class it as a learning curve for myself. Obviously i cant comment on a lot of the stuff cos i have no clue, but i’m intrigued all the same, and willing to learn at the same time.
HOWEVER..... you really dont help yourself, an answer on every eventuality, occasionally you have some really rational and genuine input, but other times (most of the time) you really do blow it out the park........... give it up!

If I don't know about a subject I befriend an arbtalker, get their phone number and get them to explain it to me. Pictures of back of alternator on its way Ratty...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So was the Singing Tree Quickie CE marked? I ended up getting the Notch one for some reason which isn't CE marked, but remember that one had the mark and t'other didn't though they were the same price. Can't seem to find the Singing Tree one for sale anywhere, and no idea when the notch one will get it's CE marked.

14 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m pretty sure Notch took over making them for Singing Tree.

Got mine a couple of weeks back, lovely piece of kit.

Do you think it's worth it ? That much better than a maillon rapide ? 

When using it as a canopy anchor, will it not carry the same risk of rope on rope dammage as hauling up a pinto, being so small ? I saw on here somewhere that a guy had got a burn through his outer rope sheath, right on the end of his alpine butterfly where the rope had passed through a pinto.

It’s a lot safer than a finger-tight maillon for sure.

Rope damage potential would be the same as a pinto with an alpine, but I don’t see the need to pull it out so quickly as to damage the rope.

We had a play last week with the Quickie just choked round a limb (which is acceptable because side loading isn’t an issue) with a trailing throwline tied to the Quickie, which retrieved nicely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikedrums69 said:

I like the idea of the quickie. But i couldn’t trust it enough. I was always in fear that it could roll over and the slic pin being pushed out. I did like it for trunk work but I couldn’t keep it in my kit bag just for that purpose.

It is a double slic pin which is less likely to pop out. It's nice for a quick alternative to the maillon, such as a base tie for ascent, or advancing your anchor or a simple redirect, but I've not worked off one for the whole tree.