ms880 rim sprocket removal help needed

orang-utan

Hi all

I have been using an ms880 for an alpine magnum grinder and i am trying to convert it to a nice big ground saw.  Problem is that the drive sprocket won't release.  It has a sprocket designed for running the belt for the grinder and it seems like it is jammed on - maybe heat build up and not greased enough over time.  I have tried using a puller but the tool that i have does not have enough thread for the depth and nor does it fit round the diameter of the sprocket as not enough clearance.  I have attached a couple of photos although these don't really show much other than the position.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there another way of removing the sprocket?

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Thanks 

20181017_134037.jpg

20181017_134101.jpg

thanks for advice fellas but got off with the puller in the end with an extension of a size 13mm Faithful sprocket head to be able to wind down the puller onto centre of shaft.  Perfect and yes i also suspect 'shite and no lube' Eric.  I now have another question:  Do you know whether or not the circular plastic wheel with cogs that i assume drives the oil pump should be connected to the sprocket somehow?  Is it a centrifugal force system perhaps?  On the 261 there is the groove cut out of the sprocket that the worm engages with.  I can't see any similar connection here.  Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, orang-utan said:

Do you know whether or not the circular plastic wheel with cogs that i assume drives the oil pump should be connected to the sprocket somehow?  Is it a centrifugal force system perhaps?  On the 261 there is the groove cut out of the sprocket that the worm engages with.  I can't see any similar connection here.  Any ideas? 

Instead of a worm as in your other model, this one uses another gear, and spring which engages with the edge of the clutch drum.  As seen here, items 14 - 15 https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ms880/38d15657-7c57-47dd-b055/

11 hours ago, billpierce said:
12 hours ago, orang-utan said:
Hey that's brilliant looks like i need 14, 15, 16 and 17 then and dogs.  Are you able to supply all the parts required to change over from 880 grinder to 880 chain saw?

Dont think he is the seller just pointing you to a diagram.

Correct.  Just found the diagram for info purposes.  ;)

Hey, that's great thanks for your help on this.  I have come to a dead end again this time with not knowing how to get the damn clutch off.  I'm assuming reverse thread but there seems to be some sort of bearing in the way which won't allow me to get a socket or spanner in to wind the clutch off.  The bearing is circular and moves independently of the clutch and sits slightly proud of the clutch nut.  So, it looks like the only way will be to somehow remove this bearing first - see photos.  Any ideas?  

20181021_130254.jpg

20181021_130307.jpg