Squirrel Control

Wendelspanswick

3 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

You need a combined approach for best results.

Fenn traps, get a few and check them regularly. Place inside a "tunnel" to avoid trapping birds, etc.

Shooting. A sub-legal-limit air rifle is plenty to kill a squirrel humanely, although it will need some practice. Bait stations with a shooting position a known distance away will help, as air rifles can have quite a "loopy" trajectory. Otherwise, as somebody suggested, get somebody to visit regularly and do it for you, people will line up to do it for free! 

Destroy their drays. This is done most easily with a shotgun and some reasonably heavy loads. Get the same shooter as above to do it. 

You will get them coming in from outside your patch, of course, but ongoing control is better than nothing. 

I recon if its sub 12ftlbs it needs to be .177 and not .22 . At sub 12ftlbs a .177 is faster , flatter and will penetrate better than the " flop shot " you would get with a sub 12ftlbs .22  Squirrel are quite tough and I have seen them run off when hit with a low powered .22 .  If you have an FAC of 28 - 30 ftlbs the yes , .22 it is . 

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I recon if its sub 12ftlbs it needs to be .177 and not .22 . At sub 12ftlbs a .177 is faster , flatter and will penetrate better than the " flop shot " you would get with a sub 12ftlbs .22  Squirrel are quite tough and I have seen them run off when hit with a low powered .22 .  If you have an FAC of 28 - 30 ftlbs the yes , .22 it is . 

And everyone knows that penetration is what is important.

Seriously though, squirrels are incredibly tough.

2 minutes ago, Toad said:

And everyone knows that penetration is what is important.

Seriously though, squirrels are incredibly tough.

Well , I don't think so . but its a buy product of the amuniti....Oh ! yes I see a double entendre  ?

19 minutes ago, westphalian said:

Stubby stubby stubby. A sub 12 should be just that...just under 12. I shoot 22 and it’s accurate at my zero at 25 m. There is nothing between 177 or 22 bar personal preference. A pellet that suits the rifle will give the squizzer a headache

Disagree westphalian , westphalian, westphalian . ( respectfully )  We don't want it with a head ache . We want it dead .  I'm not saying its not accurate , you can zero in ab 8ftlbs if you want but will it kill it ? 

Edited by Stubby

2 minutes ago, westphalian said:

This headache causes bleeding from the ears and restless legs syndrome for 10 seconds. I’m gonna pm you what .22 does

If you want . I am not new to shooting bud . I am nearly 66 and have been shooting since I was about 12 . I know what a well placed .22 will do . just my opinion . You missed the bit were I said I have seen the run off when struck with a low powered .22 .

Edited by Stubby