Abandoning our ex forces

stihlmadasever

6 hours ago, WesD said:

Treatments and stats are swayed when it comes to mental health though! If you break your arm a Dr/surgeon can fix it, if you have a mental health issue and the Dr. Doesn’t fix you then you where fucked anyway! It’s immeasurable and targets can’t be hit hence the shortage and ignorance in funding. 

You really dont don’t know what your talking about on this one! To prove it I challenge you to create a solution PTSD using the kick up the arse method. 

Bearing in mind the guys from the era you mentioned where whiskey addicts sooooo didn’t kick themselves up the arse but drank themselves into a stupor. 

I dare say you have evidence that most men drank themselves into a stupor after the old wars..

I'd expect most would just get on with life as best they could..  put the war behind them..  

I imagine they had children either before the war or shortly thereafter, forcing them to concentrate their minds on other pressing needs and not being so self indulgent as to spend their days ruminating on the horrors of war..  

as to a solution to PTSD,  how many times must I say it.   I'm talking about young men who think they might have PTSD and not those who genuinely have it..  

and if you want a cure for those who think they have some mental disorder then I suggest regular exercise and something useful to do..  the devil makes work for idle hands springs to mind.

6 hours ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

This post clearly shows that you have no idea what you are talking about! We are all wired up differently, and you cannot determine how an individual will react in a particular situation until they actually encounter it! The Army is full of supposedly hard blokes that come mainly from broken families and have bags of confidence in everyday life.....

I remember an occasion in the first gulf war where I had to put a huge black American soldiers face back on which had been severed just in front of one ear and pushed completely across to his other ear. Once back on, I had to poke my finger into the various holes to align them so he could breath and see. I then had to treat his broken femur and other injuries. I expected help from my mates, but most of them couldn't help as they were being physically sick at the sight. The only person that actually helped was my OC, Maj Pat Lawless who was an awesome bloke that went on to become a Brigadier, but then resigned over Gays being allowed in the Army!

I actually enjoyed being able to help someone that I hope survived that day and have no emotional scars, just a positive memory. However, some of those that were sick may still bear the emotional scars to this day. We are all different!

Vespasian, you would do well not have such strong opinions on a very emotive subject of which you clearly have no understanding.

SG

So doctors and psychologists who're tasked with curing the mental illness of soldiers don't have any right to treat em as they didn't suffer the horrors of war..  

Reminds me of those ex players who're now pundits..   someone phones in accuses current players of not being up to the job in some way or ain't fit to wear a shirt and the ex player brings out, The Caller Never Played. thus has no legitimate opinion...

Just because I haven't been a soldier don't mean I can't read about their struggles and also read about related subjects over the years..  mental health issues fore instance..  amongst other things and come to a conclusion of my own..

I think whats really pissing some off is I wasn't there.. how dare he share in our grief..  opine on our suffering..

what a load of shite..   anyways I'm off for a few days.. I'll be doing what most of those suffering soldiers aught be doing, getting out and doing something instead of stewing on past events..

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

what a load of shite..   anyways I'm off for a few days.. I'll be doing what most of those suffering soldiers aught be doing, getting out and doing something instead of stewing on past events..

This is what’s pissing people off, your attitude. 

If if you are mentally ill/suffering ptsd how are you aught to be doing something and not stewing when your mind is fragile and broken?

Unless of course you hold all the answers to treating mental health?

Its easy for the able minded to say move on, forget it, and do just that. It’s very hard however for the able minded to understand mental health and be aware that a fragile mind won’t operate/think/work the same as it once did. 

Not sure whether you understand mental health or your ignorant to it? Maybe both. 

• Like 5

I think he's just ignorant to life.

He only started commenting on this topic because he has such a chip on his shoulder never signing up, wouldnt be surprised if he didn't pass training if he had the same attitude.

Vespian always condemns ex-forces guys every opportunity he gets on here, it's glaringly obvious that he has huge insecurities about it.

• Like 4

Some PTSD is physical as much as mental. Sleep deprivation is a big factor, combined with stimulants and downers, for prolonged time can permenantly derail the neurochemistry, hormones, damage the adrenal glands etc. Chronic stress, basically wares out the nervous system. Combined with too many vaccines confusing the immune response, crap food, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Some PTSD is physical as much as mental. Sleep deprivation is a big factor, combined with stimulants and downers, for prolonged time can permenantly derail the neurochemistry, hormones, damage the adrenal glands etc. Chronic stress, basically wares out the nervous system. Combined with too many vaccines confusing the immune response, crap food, etc. 

This is an interesting point! Although I wouldn't claim to have PTSD. I believe I may have been affected in other ways. Having served in both Gulf wars, I was given a huge cocktail of drugs including such  delights as Anthrax and NAPS (Nerve Agent Pre-treatment Set) plus others! As many as 5 different types in one session as well as antimalarials! Anyway, Gulf war syndrome, (which according to our government doesn't exist), includes such symptoms as Thyroid problems. By strange coincidence my Thyroid gland is not as it should be and I have to take Thyroxine every day for the rest of my life! Maybe just a coincidence?9_9

SG

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

This is an interesting point! Although I wouldn't claim to have PTSD. I believe I may have been affected in other ways. Having served in both Gulf wars, I was given a huge cocktail of drugs including such  delights as Anthrax and NAPS (Nerve Agent Pre-treatment Set) plus others! As many as 5 different types in one session as well as antimalarials! Anyway, Gulf war syndrome, (which according to our government doesn't exist), includes such symptoms as Thyroid problems. By strange coincidence my Thyroid gland is not as it should be and I have to take Thyroxine every day for the rest of my life! Maybe just a coincidence?9_9

SG

I doubt it. Antimalarials are poison, or were, if they're using something different now. I know a guy who got permanent bipolar from a course of antimalarials twenty odd years ago. He says he was normal before the course, and is sure that's what caused it.